Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Polaris
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Old 06-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Default Help with the hilliard clutch system

I have a Polaris 500 scrammy, model 2000. Lost an axle and replaced with aftermarket. Something wasn't seated right and after 1 ride noticed slop in the hub. Removed the assy and must have not seated components correctly-had damaged arm plate and clutch back. Heres the prob-I tried switching all components from good side-to the new axle side and no engagement. I have a good pull @ the coil. This just doesn.t make sense. I cleaned up all roughness on coil facing and cleaned all aluminum shavings out of hub. The old assy will not work on the good side, but no big surprise there. I was able to clean up the damaged parts ok, Make the tangs stick out again on the old arm plate. This is driving me crazy. All components on the new axle side are good-what am I missing? Any help from yall would be appreciated.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxwarriorkq View Post
I have a Polaris 500 scrammy, model 2000. Lost an axle and replaced with aftermarket. Something wasn't seated right and after 1 ride noticed slop in the hub. Removed the assy and must have not seated components correctly-had damaged arm plate and clutch back. Heres the prob-I tried switching all components from good side-to the new axle side and no engagement. I have a good pull @ the coil. This just doesn.t make sense. I cleaned up all roughness on coil facing and cleaned all aluminum shavings out of hub. The old assy will not work on the good side, but no big surprise there. I was able to clean up the damaged parts ok, Make the tangs stick out again on the old arm plate. This is driving me crazy. All components on the new axle side are good-what am I missing? Any help from yall would be appreciated.
Replace the 3 tab armature plate first,check the hilliard bearings,cage (especially around the tab cutout area) and spring . If hilliard assy damaged,then replace. Torque hub nut to 12 foot pounds! FORGOT to say check the strut area where the armature plate rests for damage at face of coil and strut itself.If strut is ground down and rough,then awd wont work! I've replaced several because of this. Hope its just minor OPT
Old 06-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Default 3wd scrammy

Many thanks for the good info-I'll start with the plate and go from there. My coil facing was rough-I smoothed it down with some emery cloth-from your reply could you clarify IF its possible to clean up this facing without replacing it? There are no scratches in it deep enough to catch a fingernail in. Most probably damaged cage/roller assy enough to need to replace-planning on that as well.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:53 PM

Tags
armature, atv, bearing, buy, clutch, clutches, hilard, hillard, hilliard, parts, plate, polairs, polaris, work, works