Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

is Scrambler 500 4x4 problematic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is Scrambler 500 4x4 problematic?

Looking at getting a Scrambler 500 4x4 not sure what year for my gf. She drives a honda now and has never had any problems with it other than it's slow. What kind of things should I look out for when i'm looking for one. Do they have the same belt problems as some other Polaris quads? What options should i make sure it has I heard the downhill decent thing where it helps brake is something that was optional.

Thanks,
Bruce

Old 06-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well the engine is pretty much bullet proof. the carrier bearing might need to be replaced and sproket and chain. make sure the cv joints are good and there is no rips in the boots. the belt if sealed good by cover isn't really an issue unless the gasket is bad. i'm sure there a few guys w/ them that can say more.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brusk
Looking at getting a Scrambler 500 4x4 not sure what year for my gf. She drives a honda now and has never had any problems with it other than it's slow. What kind of things should I look out for when i'm looking for one. Do they have the same belt problems as some other Polaris quads? What options should i make sure it has I heard the downhill decent thing where it helps brake is something that was optional.

Thanks,
Bruce
Dont know what you ride but a 500 Scrambler will out do most other atvs in trails.If you mod them a little they are great.I have had mine for 8 yrs and the only problems not inflicted by me is brakes and bearing.Just like any other sport quad.If you use good sense in water the belt is great.Had mine in half way up the motor and no problems just dont hit it fast.
Freewheeling can be fixed to with clutching and relearning how to ride.
Dont be surprised if you take it away from her .......they are the funnest quad out there.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Range Rover

I love my Scrambler too, never had any problems. It's really fun to ride and handles easier than something like a Sportsman because it's lighter. Since it has 4wd, it can still go pretty much anywhere the big machines can go. (except for the REALLY deep mud) Only problem with water is the stupid location of the CVT vent. I would always get the belt wet when going through water, but I replaced it with a piece of hose that goes up under the front cover and now I can go through water up to the fenders with no problem.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, i'd get one 01 and after, bigger carb,no front chains for awd, everything i've done to this thing spiced it up,clean,easy,+straight forward,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 06-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Trailblazer

I ride an 07 Raptor 700R so her previous foreman 400 with exhaust, intake, jet, shocks and widened was barely able to keep up when I was just taking it easy. Her riding skill is just past what she could push that thing to so i'm hoping on finding something with decent speed but a very forgiving ride in case she does hit some bad places on the trail at to high of a speed. And 4x4 is preferred she still scared of some of the hill climbs so she goes up them to slow which is where the 4x4 really makes things easier. I don't mud so I don't see that being an issue.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:36 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by MECHANIKE
yeah, i'd get one 01 and after, bigger carb,no front chains for awd, everything i've done to this thing spiced it up,clean,easy,+straight forward,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
The scrambler got the H.O treatment (carb/Cam) in 98, it was the 500 Sportsman the was changed in 01 with the same.
Dont think polaris used the chain front wheel drive after 1995 on there 4x4s.

My cousin had a 2001, the only problem was he seemed to have to tighten his chain alot,even during a day ride,and he wore out a back hub but it was because he never greased the back axle spline. Also don't, forget to change the front AWD hub fluid once in awhile, its only a 10 min job.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

yeah,everything i have done on the scram500 has been positive,i put 1-1/2" wheel spacers all around and i have climbed mountains 45deg or more,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 06-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

oh 10/4 TLC on 98 started the change,,,,tightening the chain DURING the ride would be retarded,,,,,

Old 06-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Trailblazer

well I think I'm sold I just need to sell her Honda. Unless somebody else comes up with any other ideas I should look at. Wolverine 450 I don't think was enough suspension for what i'm looking for. Suzuki vinson 500 had good reviews on the suspension and I think the kfx700 might be too much of a beast for her and the lack of 4x4.

Quick Reply: is Scrambler 500 4x4 problematic?