Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I am stuck. 1997 sportsman wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am stuck. 1997 sportsman wont stay running

My 1997 sportsman will not stay running once I release the starter button.
I have replaced the stator and cdi box. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 03-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

What if anything have you done to the carb? Do you have too much slack on the thumb throttle. Should be 1/8" slack at least.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Trailblazer

Rebuilt carb about 5 years ago. Have not checked the slack in throttle. Wheeler will stay running if I hold the start button in, but as soon as I release it engine dies.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Start at the basics! Check the throttle adjustment,check the idle screw at the carb. Make sure you have good fuel flow to the carb. Re check your work on the stator,make sure there's no trash,etc around the flywheel and the stator pick up coil. It's just a process of elimination.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer

Well it seems that it is just loosing spark when I release starter switch. Is it possible that I may need to adjust air gap at pick up coil? If so what is proper gap? The whole problem started about a year ago when I would loose spark intermittently, seemed only when it was cool and wet outside. If I tapped on CDI box I would get spark again until, I had no trouble all last summer until just this winter it quit completely. I replaced CDI box and wheeler would start and stay running only if I held starter button in. I was told that I most likely had a bad pick up coil/stator so I replaced that as well and still have same problem. Should I be looking at start switch or ignition switch? if so how do I test? I am tired of dumping money into parts that are not fixing problem.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Can't adjust the gap,BUT you can slightly tap the bracket that holds the pulse(pick up) coil inward a little which will move it and see if it helps. This has happened to a lot of people on the 500 engines. Most of them could recoil start,but not electric start because the gap was a little wide either because it may have been hit,bumped,etc by magnets from the old flywheels, Or if it's a new stator and pick up coil assembly that was installed like you said,it may just need a little tap inward to get a better spark. No harm in trying. Just don't tap it too hard toward the flywheel!! Here's one guy that had about the same problem.http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...ml#post3155476
If this doesn't help then you may have to check into the ignition switch and left control switch assembly wiring.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Trailblazer

Is there suppose to be a magnet on the outside of flywheel for the pick-up coil? There are magnets on the inside.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

There is one spot on the outer part of the flywheel as it comes around that is timed to interrupt the magnets which then allows the small electrical discharge through the pick up coil to go to the cdi,then from the cdi to the coil where the spark is amplified. The air gap between this raised section and the pick up coil face is supposed to be between .016 to .040 according to the manual which is not always accurate as I've found out....One other thing you can do is to remove the black wire from the reverse limiter module and see if it helps. They can and will short out eventually and can limit spark also.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Trailblazer

Ok I will give those things a try tonight and hopefully get this thing fixed I am going to need it to fix my driveway soon. The snow is a melting and making a hell a of a mess. lol

Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Trailblazer

Alright wheeler will start and run with the pull rope and will start and run if I unhook the black wire from the cdi box and use starter. Where do I go from here?

Quick Reply: I am stuck. 1997 sportsman wont stay running