Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman timing gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013 | 06:11 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default sportsman timing gears

Hi im new here and on my way to work.OK I have a 2005 sportsman 800 just rebuilt the engine ok the book shows that the crank gear and balance shaft gears timgin marks will meet together perfectly and the balance shaft and cam gear should meet perfectly at the same time but when i line up the crank and balance shaft the marks line up perectly but in order to get the balance shaft and the cam gears to meet u must rotate the engin just a lill bit
there is no way to get the gears to meet at exactly the same time you get one set of gears at a time to meet but not all of them can any one shed any light on this i feel that the book is slightly off

Old 06-06-2013 | 07:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If I'm under standing you right you're having problem aligning the "dots" on the gears especially around the cam and counter balancer area. The double(split) gear on the cam (with the springs) must be locked in place with the alignment tool kit kit so both sprocket teeth are even or you'll never be able to do this right as far as aligning the dots correctly.Plus can cause cause engine damage if you don't. Others may have their own trick for doing this,but I used the tool that made it easy.
.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse https://polaris.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=314&cat=1&sub=24
Plus here's a close up of the double gear and the dots.

Attached Thumbnails sportsman timing gears-timingmarks.jpg  
Old 06-06-2013 | 10:19 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

i got the balance shaft spring loaded gear right no specail tool used so that is not the issue, OK try to picture the crank shaft gear dot lined up perfectly in line with the dot on the balance shaft to were the 2 teeth meet, ok next the cam gear dot and the other dot on the balance shaft will line up perfectly only IF YOU ROTATE THE engine just a lilttle bit then they will meet perfectly , but rotating the engine rotates the crank dot and balance shaft dot out of align but they will still meet if u keep turning the engine
so when the dot on balance shaft and cam meet in line that just means the crank and balance shaft dot have been rotated slighty but all the dots will come back around to meet but not exactly at the same time

ok cam and balance shaft gears can only go on one way the balance uses a woodruff key and cam uses a dowl pin

im tryin to explain this the besat i can i drawn a picture but can not get it to upload
As you read this draw a pic of each gear as u see them i have gotta get this thing ready and done by june 15

Old 06-07-2013 | 09:22 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The balancer gear an crank gear have to go on first with dots aligned,the cam has to be turned to where it can mount properly with the cam sprocket and also line the dot up at the same time on the crank gear,then it presses on. Your manual shows using the cam sprocket tool for alignment purposes.The crank can't be rotated to line the dots up.