Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2001 Polaris Magnum 500 Creaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Polaris Magnum 500 Creaking

Hello all. I am new here and just picked up my first quad 2 days ago. The machine is in really great condition. Before I bought it there was a creaking in the left rear of the machine. The guy who owned it before me did a lot of work on it himself and said he torqued down the axle bolt and the lugs on that side as well.

He did a lot of cleaning to the quad and thought maybe he did too much and it might need greased in the left rear. I was thinking about taking off the wheel and the rear axle nut to see what might be going on in there. When you yank around on the rear of the machine and put your hand on that axle nut you can feel the creaking there. There is zero play in the rear wheels at all so it doesn't lead me to think its a bearing or hub issue.

I am not sure if this is related or not but the rear brake does not bite very hard. He said the rear rotor was pretty rusty, it is slowly cleaning up now. It works but not nearly as well as the front brakes. I do not notice extra creaking or squeaking when using the rear brake, but I wanted to mention it just in case.

Look forward to the replies and thanks in advance!

Old 09-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You can just pull the caliper up out of the way and see if the noise is still there.If there isn't,could be just needing new brake pads. If it still makes noise be sure to grease the drive shaft coupler leading to the rear differential. Most people overlook this fitting and coupler run dry.Item #18 on the parts break down.Plus still could be bearing #37 making the noise.Had to replace a few of these over the years.Plus don't over look the swing arm bearings/swing arm play. A lot of things to check over on the rear swing arm assembly on the Magnum. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 09-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Perfect! I will take a look at these items. I think I narrowed it down to the left rear. When I put my hand on that large nut on the end of the shaft I can really feel the creaking. I do not see the exact part number on that exploded view you linked, but I think the nut is directly in from of part number 1 on that exploded view. When I put my hand on that I can really "feel" the creaking.

I will definitely look at those other items you mentioned to. It won't hurt to get more acquainted with the working parts.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Best if you have a service manual. Don't have a listing for the 2001,but 2002 is basically the same.2002 Polaris Magnum 500 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 09-18-2014, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer

have you checked the pins/bushings in the a arms where they attach to the bearing hubs?they could be dry

Old 09-19-2014, 05:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by early454
have you checked the pins/bushings in the a arms where they attach to the bearing hubs?they could be dry
Not an independent rear suspension with the hubs supported by upper and lower swing arms. The Magnum has just a straight axle setup with a lot of parts.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 09-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Trailblazer

Right.i 4get they made a mag 500.my brain goes right to sportsman.my wifes 330 magnum had a simillar problem.i turned out the hub splines developed some play.the washer under the axle nut would rub back and forth against the hub.made the noise mostly when you started moving 4ward right after backing up

Old 04-04-2018, 08:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

-HI! This is my first atv and first time posting. Our 2001 polaris magnum 325 4x4 started making a clicking noise by the rear axle. We took off the back rear wheels and thinking it is the rear differential but we can't find any videos or diagrams to show us how to take it apart. Do any of you know where a video is or how I can figure out exactly what could possibly be wrong. We wanted to try and change the bearing on our own, so we don't have to buy a new rear differential. Thank you for the help.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:38 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If it's what happened to most people,the rear coupler splines may be beginning strip. Item#17 in the parts list.Manual shows to remove the caliper,rotor and drive shaft then pull the rear diff out to get to the coupler. This was a common problem as a lot of people didn't know about it or the grease zerk that you could only see through a hole in the box frame.They would get dry and start slipping,making noise. You can jack the rear end up and see if that may be the area making noise. If you need a manual that can help further here's one for $5.2001 Polaris Magnum 325 4X4 Service Manual PDF Download

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Polaris Magnum 500 Creaking-92d1ccd0b97ef74a2cb2c0ae1f0e5b68eac00c68.png  
Old 04-04-2018, 09:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Great, would you recommend replacing that first and then if it still making the noise go ahead and open up the differential and see if anything needs replaced?

Quick Reply: 2001 Polaris Magnum 500 Creaking