Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

88 trail boss 250 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 88 trail boss 250 wont start

first post, new member.
heres whats going on. my trail boss was running great, driving around and then just died out of nowhere. it would crank until the battery died, never once acted like it wanted to fire, even with ether . got it home and took the body off, checked every single wire, nothing is cracked or broken or worn. brand new kill switch was in the run position. it has good spark to and through a new spark plug, new fuel lines and filter. pulled the drain plug and about half a qt of the fuel mixture poured out. took the carb off, disassembled and cleaned it and put it back together and installed. still wont start . it doesnt push any fluid out of the spark plug hole, it has good compression. but it does shoot fuel mix out of the drain plug when left off . idk too much about 2 stroke engines, but it did look like the piston doesnt clear the injection port at bottom stroke, and im not sure if thats normal for that engine or not. it seems as tho the carb is doing its job (i think) but not sucking it into the combustion chamber. im out of ideas on what to do. any help would be awesome because i just got new back tires and want to test them out.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be as simple as the crank seal behind the drive clutch has popped out. If this happens it will die right then.Have had that happen several times on Polaris 2 strokes. Has to have good bottom end compression(seals) along with decent top end compression. Compression is what I'd check first if you have good spark and fuel. If it's at least 115 psi or more I'd suspect the crank seals.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

i will have to check that. i did pull the head and top of the piston was dry and had a good amount of carbon build up on it. would that also cause it to want to die at an idle no matter how warm the engine is?

Old 09-14-2014, 05:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

well i checked. that seal was just fine. compression isnt that great. put the head and spark plug back on and could turn the clutch by hand.. so i guess ill just start with a carb rebuild and go from there. carb, then bore and new piston and rings eventually. hopefully with a carb kit it will run.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by c0de_red1
well i checked. that seal was just fine. compression isnt that great.
Then I wouldn't waste my time or money on a carb kit. Any time a 2 stroke engine dies on you while riding it's usually more than carb problems causing this.Plus with low compression I'd pull the cylinder off and check the piston.