Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which quad should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-1999, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on buying a quad this week, but Im not sure what I should get. I have a budget under 4000, and i havent been able to find any used ones in my area. My friends ride Prarie 400, Big Bear 350, Warrior 350, and a 4-trax 200. I have been looking at the new 2000 Trail boss 325, I have been to 2 polaris dealerships but they are all out. They are in my price range, will this be fast enough to hang with those, I know it probably wont hang with the warrior, but what about the Prarie and Big Bear? I also like the 2000 kawasaki Mojave 250s, are they as fast as Warriors? Thanks

Old 07-25-1999, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt, you didn't mention anything about your size, ie, weight, height, or age to aid in making suggestions, or your level of skill such as novice, beginner, etc. Also, the type of riding you'll do has a lot do do with which quad would be suitable.
To be perfectly honest with you, Matt if your budget in firmly fixed at $4000, that would eliminate most or all of the machines you mentioned, at least new ones. Since you say no used ones are available in your area, the one thing I could suggest would be to look at the Yamaha Blaster, if you plan to do mainly sport riding as opposed to mud bogging, technical trail riding, etc, At $2929 new, the Blaster is an excellent entry level sport bike with tons of after market mods. All you need is DEEP pockets .
Answering this type of question is difficult to do in one or two sentences, Matt. If you happen to have aol instant messenger we could go into it deeper if you like, or email me if you like . Address is in my profile.

Cal, the Az hard packer

------------------
join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online at www.sharetrails.org

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 07-25-1999).]

Old 07-25-1999, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im 5'8, 166, and Im 18, Im not a beginner, i guess I would say a novice.

Old 07-28-1999, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

Matt is that $4000 + tax or $4000 all together? If it's plus tax save another $300 if you can. Then you can buy a Polaris Sport. The only guys you'd have to worry about would be the Banshees. And on down the line after a couple of mods you wouldn't have to worry about them either.
Just a thought...
Andrew Thomas
'99 Scrambler 400 w/RCR kit & '99 Trailblazer
ps> If you can find a used 300 4X2 Explorer ( I think that's what they are called)it would be a good buy plus not run too bad.

Old 08-02-1999, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

The Trail Boss is a girl's atv. Get an atv made for a man thats not a 4x4. I know I'm eliminating a lot, but please do yourself a favor and don't get the Trail Boss...I have 4 quads which are superior to it:HONDA RECON (choice #1), Mojave, Blaster, and Beartracker.

I have a Honda Recon, and I can not express how pleased I am with it. It is the best ATV decision I ever made, and it feels like BRAND New and I've had it for over 2 years. Its in great shape, and I've only had 1 accident on it, and the accident was all driver error, not the ATV's fault. Its just an all round fast ATV-(BTW:I've destroyed a TRX 300 4x4 in races, and handles superior to any ATV on your competition list). Its a fast sport-utility much more like the Wolverine than the hard utilities.

Now, the Mojave is another ATV. I dunno if its in your price range, but its just a good sports atv--MUCH BETTER THAN THE TRAIL BOSS. Its faster than all your competition...except the warrior. It is a fast and fun ATV. You'll enjoy it.

The Blaster is a 3000$ ATV and faster than all your competition ATVs except the Warrior. With a few mods it may challenge the Warrior. Its a good quad, although small-I say better than the Trail Boss.

The Beartracker-not a good quad but I say better than the Trail Boss.

If I were you-I'd get the Recon. But if you insist on a sports quad choose the Mojave or Blaster.

------------------
Alibaba

'98 Honda 300ex, '97 Honda Recon, '86 TRX125

Old 08-03-1999, 12:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Matt I think the 325 would be a good choice for you. It should easily keep up with the rest of your group, except the Warrior and maybe Prarie. It has more suspension than any of the other quads you mentioned, plus the I personally love the auto tranny. I have rode the Mojave too, wasn't real impressed. It had good power, but wierd feeling ergonomics. Felt like I was going to go over the handlebars. You might also consider a used Warrior. With the intro of the 400 ex this year they have been popping up everywhere for very reasonable prices slightly used. A 98 or 97 Warrior might be alot better machine than the Trailboss if well kept. Also just ignore the Polaris bashing, ignorance spurting idot that wrote the post above me. He is obviously misinformed.

David Bean
99 Scrambler 400
99 Warrior(that my wife rides, so I guess it is a girls quad too hehe)

Old 08-03-1999, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought the Trail Boss 325 last tuesday and i am very pleased with it. It is fast enough for me right now, and it is fast enough on the trails to hang with my friends warrior and my friends new 300EX, it cant hang with them on the road, but thats okay. Suprisingly enough, on the ramp that we jump on, I outjumped both of my friends, I was pretty happy with that, by next summer or the next I should be ready for a bigger sport quad, hopefully a Mojave 400 if Kawasaki comes out with one. By the way, I have another friend with a recon, and it can't even hang with my trailboss, it tops out like at 39 or so, I can go 50, so I guess maybe the Recon is a girl's machine.