Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

98 sportsman 500 4wd problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 04:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 sportsman 500 4wd problem

I just bought a 98 sportsman 500 that has been sitting for two years. The battery was dead so I jumped it to make sure it ran. From what I read online that is why all my bulbs headlights brake lights reverse and neutral are all blown. I was out yesterday crossing a tree with the front wheels in the air they were not turning. The awd light is on so there's power to the switch. Should the wheels have been turning? If so does anybody know were to start? Could the 4wd issue be related to the lights being blown?
Thanks for the help

Old 10-08-2014, 04:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If the battery was dead,blown lights,etc,you may be showing power enough to activate the awd light but not enough voltage to engage the awd system. You can crank this atv even with a dead battery by the recoil start in most cases and it may be charging back to the battery by the regulator/rectifier,but if the battery is shorted out,it cant hold a charge. You need a good 12 volts for the awd system, electric starter,lights, cooling fan to operate. Just get a new battery,check that it's charging 14-14.5 volts back to the battery at an idle. Plus not a bad idea on changing hub fluid if it's been sitting.This system only works when the back tires slip 1/8 turn,allowing the front hubs to kick in.It's not a full time 4 wheel drive system. After you change the battery and hub fluid and still doesn't have awd,here's what some have done that have solved a common ground issue with the older hub activated awd systems also.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help. I just put in a new battery and it is charging at 14.4 volts. I watched the video you linked and I believe that the issue may be the connector on the board is rusted. Im going to try it in the morning I will let you know how I make out. Thanks again for your time

Old 10-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just check that you have power to the small gray wires when key is on and in gear. If the circuit board is too corroded just tie the two awd brown(ground wires) together and run a larger common ground wire to the main ground spot at the coil mount or the frame.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

The problem was the ground everything works great now. Thank you for the help

Old 10-11-2014, 07:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by alex2014
The problem was the ground everything works great now. Thank you for the help
Getting to be a common problem on these small awd ground wires. Glad you gotherdone..

Old 10-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I went out on a ride this morning and the awd was not working again. This time the switch doesn't light up. I have checked all 4 wires at the switch. Grey, grey and white, brown, and yellow none have any power. From what I can see none have power at the board either. Any idea what wire is supposed to be hot? Is it possible to just run a hot wire to switch and bypass the board all together? It seems like the board is going to be a problem.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think Ive got it fixed. After looking around forums I found a thread that says the gear shift switches go bad. It also said how to bypass the switch so the 4wd works. As of right now its all good

Old 10-14-2014, 03:55 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can bypass the shift box switch,but remember the awd is on as soon as the key is on. This leads to armature plates being magnetized quicker with constant voltage from the hub coils. When this happens the awd can kick on one side or the other even when not under a load causing hard steering,pulling to one side.This might be a quick fix,but when you are able I'd address the switch and any worn parts in the shift box that trigger the switch so you can at least have the option of turning the awd on and off.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

So by doing this is the 4wd always on? Is it no longer a 2wd? Are the switches easy to fix? The awd light goes on and off with the switch so doesn't that mean that the switch is not sending power to hubs when it is in off position?

Quick Reply: 98 sportsman 500 4wd problem