Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Xplorer AWD button

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Xplorer AWD button

We have a 2000 Xplorer 250 been a dependable little rig, lately we became aware the override button had to be held in while in reverse or it would stall.

We've had it for a number of years and that until recently wasn't the case, you could put in in reverse it would only limit rpms/speed in reverse it wouldn't cause it to immediately stall by simply moving the lever to reverse.

I did little reading here found it was fairly common issue and to unplug the black wire it, I did so and it corrected the stalling problem and speed in reverse is no longer governed.

From what I understood unplugging the black wire under the head light would defeat the need to push and hold the override button for AWD in reverse. In other words no longer a need to push and hold the override button for anything.

Its override button must be held in for AWD to be active in reverse, is that normal? or did I somehow unplug the wrong black wire coming from the little box mounted vertically directly behind the 2cycle oil tank?

Seams everything is fine just wanted to verify cause and effect was as expected by doing so.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 11-08-2014, 04:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

On most of the older models just unplugging the black wire from the reverse limiter would allow full power in reverse without having to push the over ride button,plus allowed full awd power also such as what this guy experienced.

On some models if you still have to push the over ride for awd in reverse,you can do as some have done to over ride this also. "Pre 2003 Sportsman models and almost all models that do NOT have the combined override/speedo function button.

*Trace the wires coming from the override button (gray/white & gray/orange).
*Cut and tape both ends of the gray/orange wire.
*Cut the gray/white wire and connect it to the red/white (ignition supplied 12v) wire. Tape the end of the gray/white wire coming out of the switch.
*The instructions say to cut and tape both ends of the purple wire. I did not do this as both of the other wires coming out of the switch effectively disable any function of the purple wire so I left it. This way if I ever want to go back to stock its that much simpler to do."

Old 11-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok normal so I'll leave it as it is, may one day defeat the need to hold the override button for AWD in reverse but its not a problem just wanted to verify I unplugged the correct wire. Thought I did because it worked for the reverse issue but wanted to make sure.

The switches are down the the trans on our model not up at the shifters housing, little different than the model in the video. Unplugging the front one had the same effect, wanted to do so up under the headlight instead. That way could leave the harness connector plugged in down at the trans where it'd tend to get wet/muddy etc.

Many thanks,

Dan