Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Thinking of adding a winch, Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 07:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thinking of adding a winch, Sportsman

So I've tossed the idea around about putting a winch on my '15 Sportsman 570... From what I've heard and somewhat seen, this is quite an easy thing to do, and doesn't take long since the one that I have is prewired and what not for this. But I looked through my owners manual, and it doesn't say a thing about installation, only operation... So here are my q's:
1: What size, 2500# or 3000#?
2: Given the fact that I've heard the the winches are a bolt in installation, is the mounting bracket kit still required? I think it is, but figured I'd ask...
3: I'm thinking of going with the winch that Polaris offers, good idea?
4: Wire rope or synthetic rope?

I'm still in the process of breaking in my 570, but once it's broke in then I plan on raising my current limits to a more typical ride style... Knowing me, I will probably get stuck (wouldn't be the first time) and would like to have a winch for those purposes... The land I will mostly be riding on has a swamp and a creek running through it (along with beaver dams, so some spots of the creek are a bit shallow, others not quite so much). Since I live where I do, I doubt that I will have a snow plow since it doesn't snow down here, so that purpose probably want get used...

Any questions, comments, experience would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:51 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure on the newer models, but I would be guessing that they are all prewired for the winch set up. yes you need a mounting plate for model bike you have. I would go w/ a #3000 winch as it would never hurt to have more then you need as I have been stuck w/ a 2,500 lb that would not get me out. I have installed a lot of winches on a lot of different bikes and if you have a good sense of mechanical ability I you should have no issues.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:56 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Mine came with a Polaris winch its a 2500 made by Warn. Not sure if Warn still has the Polaris contract. I would go 3000lb I also seen the 2500 struggle some times.
Get the fiber rope not cable its much nicer to work with.

Any winch you buy will have the instructions in the box.
If you ride alone its nice but if your riding with another person who has a winch let him pull you out and save your money. LOL

Old 12-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the new Polaris winches are made in China. If so there are better options. Cheaper too. I think I would go with a synthetic line too.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I think the new Polaris winches are made in China. If so there are better options. Cheaper too. I think I would go with a synthetic line too.
Yupp, the new Polaris winches are chinese garbage. I vote a Superwinch terra, will replace my over priced Warn with one when it dies.

KFI should have a mount, if Superwinch dont.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WilliamBos
Yupp, the new Polaris winches are chinese garbage. I vote a Superwinch terra, will replace my over priced wzrn with one when it dies.

KFI should have a mount, if Duperwinch dont.
if these are as mentioned, I vote warn winch.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

I've had great luck with my Warn 2500 also. It's been on my 700 since it was new but I also switched over to synthetic rope as most guys do. I'd prolly suggest the 3000lb. also..
I think this is the correct mount..

http://www.kfiproducts.com/index.php...&productId=381

John

Old 12-13-2014, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by WilliamBos
Yupp, the new Polaris winches are chinese garbage. I vote a Superwinch terra, will replace my over priced Warn with one when it dies.

KFI should have a mount, if Superwinch dont.

I looked into the above mention mount, and while checking out the winches that will work with this mount I saw this:

• SUPERWINCH : LT2000 / LT2500 / LT3000 (will NOT work with Terra 25/35/45)
So much for the Terra I guess....

Thanks for the info so far.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

You may have to buy the mount from polaris. The idiots came up with this new integrated winch system, hoping to force more garbage polaris winch sales.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Il needed a winch to raise/lower the snowplow so I opted for the easy Polaris HD2500 winch set-up. I haven't plowed yet (just resently bought the plow) so I can't tell you if the Popo "HD" winch is any good or not. Will know by the end of the plowing season.

If I needed a winch to pull me out of a mud hole often, I would definitely go for a 3000lb Warn or equivalent.

As for cable or rope? If cable is less $$ than rope, I would choose cable.

Quick Reply: Thinking of adding a winch, Sportsman