Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

06 predator 90 stalling out

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 09:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 predator 90 stalling out

Hi fellas my son has a 06 predator 90 2 stroke the carb is new but for some reason it will fire up and idle fine but once ridden for a while it will just stall out. It starts back up and will run again but will stall again doesn't sound like carb issues but I'm just not sure what it could be. Any help would be great trying to get my Son back out riding thanks in advance

Old 01-29-2015, 03:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd check obvious things like pulling pull the fuel cap,blowing on the opening and seeing if you hear air hiss from the tank vent hose.Plus fuel filter could be partially stopped up,fuel lines kinked.Even a simple partially fouled plug can cause problems. If it's getting fuel,carb is ok as you say,then when it dies,pull the plug and check for spark. Stators were bad on these about over heating,loosing spark and water and dirt entry into the stator area shorting them out. Plus may even be a compression problem as it gets warm and dies. Check compression when it does this. Minimum compression from the service manual is 115 psi.Any lower than this could be time for a new top end.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
I'd check obvious things like pulling pull the fuel cap,blowing on the opening and seeing if you hear air hiss from the tank vent hose.Plus fuel filter could be partially stopped up,fuel lines kinked.Even a simple partially fouled plug can cause problems. If it's getting fuel,carb is ok as you say,then when it dies,pull the plug and check for spark. Stators were bad on these about over heating,loosing spark and water and dirt entry into the stator area shorting them out. Plus may even be a compression problem as it gets warm and dies. Check compression when it does this. Minimum compression from the service manual is 115 psi.Any lower than this could be time for a new top end.
Awesome thank you i will check all those out this weekend. Thank you so much for your help

Old 02-02-2015, 12:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I checked all fuel hoses as ll are good tank vent good. I also put a new battery in it and it sounds like the battery is dead. Barely cranks over can't get it to kick start either. I'm clueless now

Old 02-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check spark and compression to at least see where you stand..

Old 02-05-2015, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I have no spark. The bike is barely cranking over with a fresh battery it slowly crank hesitates than cranks almost as if battery is dead. I guess I'll pull the stator off and check for dirt etc. I saw somewhere where a guy had the same issues of it running than stalling than running again said it was the stator. Well see. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the atv is barely cranking over with a new battery with or without the spark plug in,you might just see if you can look through the plug hole with a flash light at the piston and cylinder wall. If it is a stator problem,could have caused a seizure also. Found several like this.Stators were bad on water and dirt entry which shorted them out. Still best to get an accurate compression test along with checking the stator.Plus pull the black kill wire from the cdi. If you have spark,then the problem is in the switches most times. If still no spark then check the stator resistance. Stator black wire to white/red 450 ohms,black to black/red 800 ohms,black to white .6 ohms,black to yellow/red .5 ohms,black to ground 0.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so stator is testing out
Yellow/red 00.5
White. 00.5
White/red 512
Black/red 802.
I have continuity at both coil posts
If I disconnect slack from cdi it cranks over as it should but still no spark. I checked all connections all Ok. so I'm assuming the stator is bad. Thanks again so much for your help

Old 02-08-2015, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Black to ground is 0 and sorry it was the blue wire off the cdi I plugged it back in now everything is working fine cranking over brake light comes on but front lights are not even when cranking. Thanks in advance for the help

Old 02-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check the main headlight connections where they split along wit possibly the bulbs may have blown.You should be able to replace them at most auto stores if needed. Glad it's not the stator and you have it running.Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Quick Reply: 06 predator 90 stalling out