Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 03:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Okay I bought a 95 Polaris explorer for real cheap I didn't get a manual or anything like that and the lady I bought it off of didn't kno anything about it it was her deceased husbands so anyway I'm trying to figure out what this dip stick is right near where u pull start the atv its to the left of the pull start and what kind of fluids go in there I'm new to atvs and have no idea what I need to do here and also do I need to know where any other dipsticks are or where anymore fluid goes and my oil tank on front of atv is broke is it okay if I just pre mix the gas and oil in a gas can thanks

Old 03-05-2015, 05:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Dip stick is for the gear case fluid. Another dipstick under the carb for the counter balancer fluid. Holds about 100 ccs of 30 wt oil for this area. Here's a cheap manual that can answer most of your questions,plus help on service and repairs.DOWNLOAD 1985-1995 Polaris ATV Repair Manual ALL MODELS - Download ... You can premix,but the injector at the the carb intake manifold needs to be removed and blocked off with a 6mm bolt and washer.Again the manual can show you how the oil pump system works.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default help

Okay thanks for the info also I called the lady cause I got to looking the oil tank in the front of atv was cut in half she said that she did know he had the atv bored over she think 50 but wasn't positive so how can I tell if they may have already blocked the oil injection off

Old 03-05-2015, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default help

Okay thanks for the info also I called the lady cause I got to looking the oil tank in the front of atv was cut in half she said that she did know he had the atv bored over she think 50 but wasn't positive so how can I tell if they may have already blocked the oil injection

Old 03-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Look on the left side of the intake manifold. If the oil pump has been blocked off,the check valve and feed tube from the oil pump won't be there, in it's place will just be a bolt and washer. Item #16 on the parts break down is the check valve(injector). Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Premix 40-1 with a good 2 stroke premix/injector oil.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Help

Okay thanks I bought the manual but my computer is been stupid and won't let it open so I want to ask one more question just to be safe when I fill the fluids up I fill them up where the dip stick is correct sorry for dumb questions I just want to make sure I'm doing it right I can't afford to take it to someone to do it for me and thanks again

Old 03-06-2015, 10:05 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

No dumb questions,just dumb answers sometimes. Gear case holds about 16-20 ounces of Polaris AGL fluid(or equivalent gear case fluid),can't remember quantity off hand,but add until it shows the full mark on the dip stick. Counter balancer cavity drain is a small 10 mm bolt at the bottom of the engine,to the left of the same size crank case drain plug.Fill both the gear case and counter balance through the dip stick openings.Gotta fork over 5 bucks for this manual,but worth it.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Help

I appreciate all ur help I got all that figured out now I have another issue I can't seem to find help in manual with the Polaris is blowing coolant out the overflow near the ca on the radiator it also of course smokes from that same hole I've made sure there is coolant in radiator but it can be full and if I go riding its low to where I almost can't see it what might be the problem

Old 03-08-2015, 03:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Help

There is some white thick build on radiator where the hose connects to radiator thays only place I can tell there's that white build up

Old 03-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

First open the 10mm bleed screw bolt on the rear of the head.Located in front of the temp sensor. Don't take it all the way out. Let coolant flow for a couple minutes to remove any trapped air,then tighten the bolt. Pull the dip stick from the counter balancer located under the carb area. If it's milky colored the w/p seals and bearing need replacing.Clean the radiator also if dirty.If the fan doesn't cycle on and off,you can pull the red and brown wire and put 12 volts to the fan motor. If fan works,the sensor is bad.Item #6. You can match this up at any auto supply,but may have to modify the connections. Item #6. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Here's a used one,but DON'T buy used parts like this.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Xplorer-400-4x4-1995-Fan-Switch-9065-/301528466184?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46347f4308&vxp=mtr