Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 sportsman strange gas leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 sportsman strange gas leak

I notice if i am on rough rocky roads gas will leak around the gas cap.This is noted with a fairly full fuel tank.Why i say strange is the gas cap is in good shape and the rubber gasket is in it.Problem is i really cant see the top part of the fuel tank at the neck area.Is there any hose or problem area there prone to leak ? I am planning on ordering a new cap ASAP.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Pull the front cab covering the tank. Check for any damage/cracks at the base of the fuel neck,plus check that the vent hose is secure along the ridge of the tank leading to the steering post. Leaking could be in this area if the hose is broken. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 05-23-2015, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks i was wondering if there was a hose in that location. To remove the front cab i am assumeing the handle bars and speedo/head lamp pod has to come off? Maybe the hose or valve is leaking.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just get the front cab loose from the front frame and floor boards. Lift it up turn it sideways and work it over the left handle bar grip and control,slide it over and up off the right side bar grip and control.Goes back on the same way you took it off. No need to remove the handle bars if you don't want to.Yes headlight pod has to be removed.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:25 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks i will investagate that area and see what i can find.I have a feeling now it may be to do with that tank vent or line.If there is a crack or something at the filler neck i think i can fix that with a tank repair kit.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:55 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You may just be able to lift the rear part of the cab up over the tank to inspect the plastic vent fitting and tube with having to remove it.Hope it's just a simple fix.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer

Well this is what i found i did pull it apart the way you said to.The gas vent was loose in the tank for one.The hose to it was fine.But i also think it is possible the base of the tank filler neck was leaking.But the leak also only happens when the tank is close to full.What i did do was reseal the tank vent.And i sealed the tank neck around the base with JB weld.It has to be in the field tested now with a full tank.But i am assumeing it is fixed.I did notice before when ever it was runnng you could smell gas vapor even with low gas level in the tank.After putting it back together i ran it several times and did not get any gas vapor smell.I also checked all other areas of the tank includeing lines and the carb.No leaks were noted at all in those areas.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Could have been a combination of both the tank vent fitting and the cap gasket on gas leakage/smell. Hopefully the tank neck isn't cracked to where you need to replace the tank assy.Any discoloration around the neck area could be from gas cap leakage. Hopefully with the vent fitting sealed and new cap gasket or cap assembly,the gas smell will be fixed. Be sure to check the tank fittings at the bottom of the tank also for any seeping. Not a good place for problems there either that close to the exhaust pipe.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:42 AM
Trailblazer

I would say its cured no leaks at the fittings noted, This week it should be doing a 10 or 15 mile run so i will no for sure.At this point if something is still leaking i will just replace the tank.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:16 AM
Trailblazer

Well update of the update.The neck is cracked half way up between the cap threads.Surprised i missed that but the old eyes are not what they use to be.Lesson learned make sure i have the reading glasses on lol.Anyway replacement tank is on the way.One thing is for sure i can take it apart again fast after already having it apart one time

Quick Reply: 04 sportsman strange gas leak