Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris sportsman 500 ho

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris sportsman 500 ho

Hi, I'm new at this so here go I inherased a 2002 polaris sportsman 500 ho. Not much luck in starting bike I had it running for roughly 30 seconds and that's it. Clean carb,have sparks,by pass throttle switch,put hand on carb when turning over gas comes out of carb but still don't fire. Need help
Tks

Old 06-18-2015, 02:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Why did you defeat the etc switch in the throttle housing? If it's getting spark and fuel,do a compression check along with checking valve clearance. .006 intake and exhaust,compression should range between 55-90 psi on average because of the decompression lever on the cam.A service manual for 5 bucks can show you things to check for.2002 Polaris Sportsman 500 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 06-18-2015, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Why did you defeat the etc switch in the throttle housing? If it's getting spark and fuel,do a compression check along with checking valve clearance. .006 intake and exhaust,compression should range between 55-90 psi on average because of the decompression lever on the cam.A service manual for 5 bucks can show you things to check for.2002 Polaris Sportsman 500 Service Manual PDF Download
Hi, it was mention for me to try bypassing etc switch, I will verify compression, as for the service manual is it just base on the 2002 model,and is it important to mention the Ho also when I purchase the manual.tks

Old 06-19-2015, 04:27 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

All Sportsman 500s were HO models from 2001 on up.The main difference between the HO and non HO models was a longer duration cam and 40mm BT40 Mikuni carb on the HO.The manual should be fine.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

All Sportsman 500s were HO models from 2001 on up.The main difference between the HO and non HO models was a longer duration cam and 40mm BT40 Mikuni carb on the HO.The manual should be fine.
Hi again, thank you for answering back, I just purchase a compression tester and I received a result of 80 , and redid it again with the same result. Put plug back in and still the same no luck. We decide to use the pull cord and all we got is a few back fire but we're never able to fire it up, what else you think I should try. Tks

Old 06-20-2015, 08:39 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Mine was hard to start it turned out the pulse coil's magnetic face beside the fly wheel was dirty with tiny metal filings stuck to it. I cleaned it up and re gaped it and it's been great since.

Turns out lots off crap works its way down the pull rope hole and into the recoil cover where the pulse coil is located.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
Mine was hard to start it turned out the pulse coil's magnetic face beside the fly wheel was dirty with tiny metal filings stuck to it. I cleaned it up and re gaped it and it's been great since.

Turns out lots off crap works its way down the pull rope hole and into the recoil cover where the pulse coil is located.
Would this cause it from firing up,I have spark and fuel but just can't seem to start
Development

Old 06-21-2015, 02:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes like tlc mentioned dirt/trash can cover the face of the pick up coil and also the magnetic strip on the flywheel causing problems also. Before you pull the recoil cover check resistance on the white and white/red wires leading to the cdi module. These are the pick up coil wires. Should show around 97 ohms resistance.If the pick up coil checks out ok,pull the recoil cover and clean these areas,seal the cover,some owners silicone the rope handles to keep water and dirt out. If this doesn't solve the problem,you can check the stator specs from the manual along with other trouble shooting guides it shows.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:38 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by gfl0224
Would this cause it from firing up,I have spark and fuel but just can't seem to start
Development
I still had spark but I guess the dirty pulse coil made the spark not strong enough. It would not start with the electric start at all and just do the odd back fire. It would start after many tries with pull rope though.
Once the coil was cleaned it started easily fine both ways.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes like tlc mentioned dirt/trash can cover the face of the pick up coil and also the magnetic strip on the flywheel causing problems also. Before you pull the recoil cover check resistance on the white and white/red wires leading to the cdi module. These are the pick up coil wires. Should show around 97 ohms resistance.If the pick up coil checks out ok,pull the recoil cover and clean these areas,seal the cover,some owners silicone the rope handles to keep water and dirt out. If this doesn't solve the problem,you can check the stator specs from the manual along with other trouble shooting guides it shows.

Hi again, tks for the reply, verified everything you mention everything seems to be good, what I notice I did a ohms reading on my coil for the sparkplug,coil reading was good but from end of sparkplug cap to coil I'm suppose to have 6.4 ohms and I'm reading 11.4 does that mean my plug wire is shot and needs replacing.

Quick Reply: polaris sportsman 500 ho