Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Loses Power, overheats

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 03:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The "tee"and two lines are just the vent lines..Make sure these aren't restricted and yes most do go into cutouts in the frame. Pull the lower line on the carb that has the filter on it. Look at the routing lines from the fuel pump at the top of the page.. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse PS.. If you don't hold the over ride button down while in reverse it will limit!

Old 04-28-2016, 08:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again Old Polaris Tech.

I found a small hose, about ten inches long, about the width of a straw and it is clear. Was on the foot rest, so looks like it fell from somewhere.
Bottom of the carb is a nipple with gas dripping from it...I wonder if this hose and that nipple are related somehow....I don't see it on the schematic you sent, yet it seems odd that we ould allow gas to drip drip drip from this nipple as normal operations.
Just posting this real quick, outside up to my armpits in engine, lol!

If anyone could weigh in, that would be great!

Old 04-28-2016, 08:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes this hose goes to the bottom of the carb bowl nipple. If fuel is leaking, install a new carb kit that has a a new needle and seat along with adjusting the float arm on this carb parallel with the carb body.Polaris Sportsman 400 Shindy Carburetor Carb Rebuild Repair Kit Fits All 2001 02 | eBay Look over this pdf from the manual on carbs. You have the BST34 carb and simple to rebuild.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...U2gGlaHJWSIlbA

Old 04-28-2016, 10:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay,my oh have been more than helpful, and I totally appreciate it. But this morning I gave up, I handle and work on computer networks for a living, carburetor are way beyond me. So I put her in reverse so I could get near the drive for the truck, and she sputters and all that, so I push the reverse override and smooth as silk, she backs up with all the power I need. Good. Now put her in forward, and gently give her gas, but there's a bit of a hill I have to make it up to get to the trailer. So I giver her more gas and smooth as silk, she shoots me up the hill.....what the???

Turn her around and ride the trails out back, and she rides like nothing is wrong....

Any ideas? Maybe the reverse override was stuck 'on' and me using it, 'unstuck' it? Or some debris in the carb shook loose? (Keep in mind I have VERY little experience in these areas, so I am using logic to arrive at my ideas).

Thank you.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Gremlins.. Or could be as you say the reverse over ride contacts in the left control switch. Spray a little electrical contact cleaner in the cracks and crevices of the switch and work the on/off slide switch and over ride button several times. Dirt and corrosion can cause problems in this switch..Plus pull the two connectors leading to the switch,clean and use some dielectric grease on the contacts. If the carb is still dripping though,have a carb kit installed..