CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Rear diff issues.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Rear diff issues.

Been browsing the forums, and am very close to purchasing a Can-Am. Really torn right now because I have heard a lot of horror stories regarding the rear diffs being prone to breakage. Apparently the fix is to replace it with an upgraded model from one of the HMR's which is supposedly much stronger. Just looking at basic designs, understanding differences in bearing types, sizes, and just overall stronger construction, I can see the advantages. At this point I am leaning towards purchasing an HMR based machine and just swapping out the tires for something a little more trail friendly than the monster mudders they come with. Let me say that I don't do the mud scene. Avoid deep holes like the plague as I don't relish cleaning the machines. I just want something to be trouble free. I will use it to pull things around and doing some snow plowing on the homestead, and the added traction the mud tires provide would be an improvement over my current machines, but not sure they are worth it. Also looking between the HMR based Outlander models and Renegade X-XC. Am having a hard time deciding on engine size too. As the 800 class is a huge step up from the trusty old 500 Rubicon I have had for God knows how long. Close to 20 years I think. Not sure I want that 1000 power. But in saying that, you can't have too much of that either. And that HMR 1000 sure calls to me every time I walk by drooling. At my advanced age, I am probably looking at my last toy purchase. Not too interested in how fast they go either, and I understand the HMR models are geared lower and the computer is set up for more torque than the speedier models. Hard choice. Any recommendations? And please, if you don't own one, or don't know the difference between the DIFFERENTIALS, please don't chime in for old times sake. I need some good data. Unfortunately the dealer I go to hasn't got a clue regarding the differences. So they are not exactly a good source for information.
thanks and happy trails...
Dragginbutt. (The original... yep it is really me, I am still kicking)

Old 02-06-2016, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Good to hear from you. Wish I could help you out. Haven't researched them in a while.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well been doing more research and comparing Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 2 improved, and now the gen 2 xmr diffs. It sure looks like Can-Am has a serious engineering challenge that although they have apparently been making improvements, it seems that they STILL have missed the mark and the diffs are Still Failing. Reasons are many, opinions are many as well, but a couple things are pretty clear. The DIFFS are getting hot, and the metallurgy is POOR. They have changed to Helical gear sets on the XMR, added better tapered bearings, beefed up the cases etc, all very good things, but the teeth are still failing. Mostly caused by heat. And the fact that according to one trusted expert, helical gears are strong when power is applied going forward, but they are weak when applied in reverse. That is one very key point to remember when you get one stuck... Still not sure what the cause is for the heat problem, but if you look at your typical XMR diff, they will show a discoloration caused from heat. And it is the heat that is causing the pinion seals to fail, and then it is just a matter of time. So the question is this. WHT CAN"T BRP FIGURE OUT A SOLUTION? Not hearing this problem from the competition. Kind of points back to my earlier premise that we are getting way too much power on board... but that is just my humble opinion. Stay tuned for more research...

OBTW, on another note, I believe that riding style and the abusive nature that some employ in their riding style, most notably the deep mudders, and machines using monster mud tires for traction. Those place a lot of stress on parts. Anyway, knowing what I know now, and how I ride/drive and how Mrs DB rides/Drives, and based on advice I have received from persons making a living working and modifying the Can-Am product lines, I feel that my next machines will be XMRs. A 650 for Mrs DB, and an 850 for me. I have looked long at the 1000, but at the end of the day, the maneuverability gained with the shorter wheelbase of the 850 XMR over the 1000 XMR will be an advantage in the trees and on tight trails. I also plan to change wheels and tire combinations to lessen the stresses that those monster mud tires place on it when riding on a hard trail. I''ll throw them on if I need to pull stuff around the homestead or do some log skidding etc, but for general trail riding, I think a less aggressive tire is in the future. We will not go looking for a mud hole or trying to get it stuck. And am not too proud to pull out a winch cable and hook up rather than abuse the bike and break parts. Plus, I know I am not one to peg the throttle any more just to see what she will do. ATV's are tools for me, and something to enjoy out on the trails with. To do that, they need to be on the trails and not in the repair shop. I have for now decided to get rid of the sport machines too. That was a hard choice to make, but they have to go. I don't use them any longer. And they are just taking up storage space. Also have shelved the Defender idea until I see how the ATV's hold up to the chores around the homestead. If they can push snow, pull a trailer, skid logs, then I just can't justify the expense. Besides I have a Bobcat Tool cat on a back burner... or a new tractor with a cab on it that would really be way more practical than all of them combined. But I can't travel with a tractor. And it won't fit in the Raptor toyhauler. Ahhh decisions...