Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

2002 Polaris Trail Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 04:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Polaris Trail Blazer

Hey All,

Just purchased this last night for 500. Looking at it today, I have compression on the engine (had to turn by hand due to no pull rope) needs a new battery, belt and oil change but is looking decent so far. Was told that it would not run due to needing a new cdi box so went ahead and purchased last night. Only thing that has raised a question is I saw a little bit of oil in the carb when I pulled off the filter?? Just wondering if this is a huge major issue or something small? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-07-2016, 06:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Not a problem as oil in the cylinder can over time seep back into the carb from the intake port. The other reason you can find oil in the carb is if the oil pump has been bypassed and premixed into the fuel..Easy to check on this if the pump has been blocked off. Do a GOOD compression test and check for spark whether you have to get the recoil fixed or a new starter as it can tell you the condition of the top end and electrical system. If compression is lower than 110psi,then that needs to be addressed. A good manual can help in so many ways. Here's one for 5 bucks.2002 Polaris Trail Blazer 250 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 04-07-2016, 08:05 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Not a problem as oil in the cylinder can over time seep back into the carb from the intake port. The other reason you can find oil in the carb is if the oil pump has been bypassed and premixed into the fuel..Easy to check on this if the pump has been blocked off. Do a GOOD compression test and check for spark whether you have to get the recoil fixed or a new starter as it can tell you the condition of the top end and electrical system. If compression is lower than 110psi,then that needs to be addressed. A good manual can help in so many ways. Here's one for 5 bucks.2002 Polaris Trail Blazer 250 Service Manual PDF Download
Thank You for your reply and advice. As soon as I receive my Cdi box I will do a compression test and see what I have. When I bought this the guy had just replaced the starter but it would not start w/o the cdi box so I will see what happens. In the meantime, I did check again and see some oil on the outside of the engine around the intake. Plan on power washing the entire bike and do some clean up on the engine to make sure I don't have a seal leak. Thanks Again

Old 04-09-2016, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer
Default Rough starting

Originally Posted by COwen
Thank You for your reply and advice. As soon as I receive my Cdi box I will do a compression test and see what I have. When I bought this the guy had just replaced the starter but it would not start w/o the cdi box so I will see what happens. In the meantime, I did check again and see some oil on the outside of the engine around the intake. Plan on power washing the entire bike and do some clean up on the engine to make sure I don't have a seal leak. Thanks Again
Hey All,

Got the CDI box installed today and bike is all cleaned up. I attempted to start and it tries tonturn over but will not go. Got it to the point where white smoke was coming out of the tail pipe and it was trying to turn over but just won't make it. Contacting the previous owner he states that he never messed with the choke, he just started it. It has new fuel in it and a full tank of oil (came with the bike). Charging battery right now to make sure it has full charge when I try it again. Outside of that, not real clear.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Try a squirt of ether into the air box or carb. If it doesn't at least run with that for a couple seconds then I'd still start at the beginning and do a compression check to at least so you'll know what shape the top end is in before you go any further.If it has over 110 psi and you've already addressed the carb,new plug,fuel,air filter,etc, then leaking crank seals are the other thing that a lot of people over look on these old 2 strokes. You can have decent top end compression,but if seals are leaking the engine can't compress the gas/oil/air mixture into a mist and shoot it up the transfer ports properly for ignition.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer

Try a squirt of ether into the air box or carb. If it doesn't at least run with that for a couple seconds then I'd still start at the beginning and do a compression check to at least so you'll know what shape the top end is in before you go any further.If it has over 110 psi and you've already addressed the carb,new plug,fuel,air filter,etc, then leaking crank seals are the other thing that a lot of people over look on these old 2 strokes. You can have decent top end compression,but if seals are leaking the engine can't compress the gas/oil/air mixture into a mist and shoot it up the transfer ports properly for ignition. How 2 Stroke Engine Works - YouTube
Awesome, thanks for the answer and help. Greatly appreciated.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:30 PM
Trailblazer

Awesome, thanks for the answer and help. Greatly appreciated.
Finally got it running and it did great. Let it idle for a while and then ran it with no issues. After shutting it off and letting it sit for a while it is hesitating to start again. Think I am going to take the carb out and give it a good cleaning and try it again. If that does not get it then I will start from scratch in looking at the seals and other items. Will keep this updated on my progress.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:29 AM
Trailblazer

Finally got it running and it did great. Let it idle for a while and then ran it with no issues. After shutting it off and letting it sit for a while it is hesitating to start again. Think I am going to take the carb out and give it a good cleaning and try it again. If that does not get it then I will start from scratch in looking at the seals and other items. Will keep this updated on my progress.
Hey All,

Update on this. Tore the carb apart again and found that previous owner had used epoxy as a gasket. The epoxy mixed with the gas and coated every piece of the carb. So, after a complete teardown, cleaning, and rebuild I am finally putting it back together. Hopefully this fixes this thing so that my wife can ride. As I am putting this thing back together I see a melted hose that touched the exhaust coming off of the top of the transmission. Is this just some type of vent hose or does it actually attach to something I am not seeing.

Thanks!

Old 04-16-2016, 09:54 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Gear case vent line. Get a new hose if needed and zip tie it to the frame away from the exhaust.Just let it vent to the atmosphere,doesn't attach to anything else.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:07 AM
Trailblazer

Gear case vent line. Get a new hose if needed and zip tie it to the frame away from the exhaust.Just let it vent to the atmosphere,doesn't attach to anything else.
Great! Thank you. Unfortunately, don't believe the carb is the problem. Still not wanting to turn over for me even though it was running last night. Very frustrating.

Quick Reply: 2002 Polaris Trail Blazer