Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Oil out of breather hose from top end????

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil out of breather hose from top end????

i have a 2001 LTZ 400 LOADED with mods. there is one thing that worries me. it will barely take any oil in the oil tank. if i fill it just a little up the dipstick it will project it out of the breather tube. i can hold the hose and have a stream of oil shooting out. i was wondering has anyone else had this problem? im heading to carolonia adventure world tomarrow so i want it to be a worry free trip.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer

when was the last time you changed you oil filter? your oil pressure could be very high. check your return line to the oil can and see if it is cllogged. that is the only thing that comes to my head. idk if an '01 has an oil tank but i figured id give it a try. hope this helps!

Old 01-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Range Rover

First off........is there such a thing as an '01 Z? I think '02 was the first.....

Not sure if you got if figured out yet but what do you mean by "breather tube". It's pretty much a closed system. There is a breather hose in the top of the valve cover and another at the bottom of the head..or maybe the top of the cylinder. Anyway both of those hoses route into a black plastic box that is mounted on the right side of the quad just ahead of the rear brake fluid resi. It pretty much blocks access to the carb on that side. Do you have that?

Also when checking oil, run for a bit then let it sit for a couple minutes before checking.
Takes just over 2 quarts to fill.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by spize909
First off........is there such a thing as an '01 Z? I think '02 was the first.....

Not sure if you got if figured out yet but what do you mean by "breather tube". It's pretty much a closed system. There is a breather hose in the top of the valve cover and another at the bottom of the head..or maybe the top of the cylinder. Anyway both of those hoses route into a black plastic box that is mounted on the right side of the quad just ahead of the rear brake fluid resi. It pretty much blocks access to the carb on that side. Do you have that?

Also when checking oil, run for a bit then let it sit for a couple minutes before checking.
Takes just over 2 quarts to fill.
spize i was trying to be nice to the guy/girl. i didnt think there was an '01 either but i went with it and gave him/her some good starting points to look at. lol

o wait this is the guy with the loaded 04 that he bought for 1500... there is a good possibility that it was 1500... i bought mine for 400 and got what i paid for. im now rebuilding the top end with new piston and valves... like the old saying "you get what you pay for". but start with what i said and let us know man.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Range Rover

I don't get where the oil would be coming from.....and I forgot to mention there is a third hose that comes off the black box. That one might be the one he is talking about......? That hose goes into the intake. If he has some kind of after market intake it probably has a breather type filter on it (like mine). There should be nothing coming out of it at all but air.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

your guess is as good as mine right now. need more info a pics would be most helpful.

i lloked at the photos in his profile of the quad and it appears that the box has been deleted. idk what it does but it's not there. i also noticed you have an unprotected aftermarket swing arm. BE CAREFUL with that on especially if you are trail riding. your rear brake lines and chain are the prey of limbs and stumps.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Range Rover

alright well ill start out with saying I HATE WORKING on motors i didn't bulid. and the breather hose from the cylinder and from the valve cover are connected into one that is suppose to be going into the intake duct, but i just have it venting into the atmosphere because last time i had it running it LOADED the carb with oil and i looked like a fog machine on steriods. i will check the oil filter tomarow. but like in my other post i took it for a 6 hour ride yesterday and it was great(besides loosing spark this morning, see LOOKING TO GET LTZ400) and i dont have that black box. i was thinking to just run the breather hose into the oil tank then running a bigger vent out of the tank? BTW sorry for the 2001 thing wasn't thinking then....its a 2004

Old 01-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Range Rover
Default black box

Read this........you need to have that box or you will be spitting oil constantly. I tried without it and it did not work for me.
edit: I read through that after posting and it's not a very good representation of the issue. Everybody but one guy that has tried running without it has found that after time it doesn't work and it will eventually start spitting oil. Mine lasted about 45 minutes before it was spitting. Suffice to say it's best to have it. I relocated mine so it wasn't in the way of carb adjustments...
Had Any Success? - SuzukiCentral

Old 01-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Range Rover

could i just intergrate the oil tank and the black box? run the breathers from the cylinder and valve cover to a vent on the oil tank so if oil does spew out it will just re-circulate in the system? and then run a seprate breather off of the oil tank for the crankcase gases/pressure?

Old 01-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Range Rover

so what would you do.......tap a hole into the oil reserve tank and put a fitting on it? I still think the pressure would force it out of the breather. But you may be onto something......
The way I had mine was both tubes from the engine ran into a "t" fitting (so theoretically they'd circulate) then a tube with a small breather filter coming out by the steering stem. I can tell for sure that that did not work .
The box cost $35.00.

Quick Reply: Oil out of breather hose from top end????