Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

quadrunner 500 4x4 oil change/level question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quadrunner 500 4x4 oil change/level question

This quad is new to me I haven't bought a manual for it yet so just wondering if anyone can tell me how to check oil level on this quad.. I pulled the fill up plug and theres no dip stick attached so I'm wondering if there is another way, or do you have to drain it and re-fill to know the oil level? seems kind of strange to me.. Maybe there is a dipstick i'm not seeing?

I noticed a oil/milky substance on the ground near the rear of my skidplate It smells like grease or gear oil but i'm not sure so I want to check/replace oil! can anyone tell me where to find oil level, oil drain plug and last but most important, what kind and how much oil should I be using? 10w-30 motorcycle wet clutch/motoroil? I have today off so any help appreciated there is snow coming friday I hope my head gasket isn't blown making the oil milky!!! thanks guys -Mike

Old 01-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Trailblazer

its a '99 by the way if that helps.. I searched google with no luck. please point me in the right direction. -mike

Old 01-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

250's and 300's have a sight glass that is kinda in front of the right rear tire (as you are sitting on it).

Old 01-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for your reply I'll have to double check because I didn't see anything like that... I hope theres one. I did the oil change today put 3.5 quarts of Castrol 5w30 which I was told to use by a person I know who has a similar ATV. changed the oil filter and picking up a new spark plug tomorrow had to have Napa "special" order it or it would have been put in today. Put in a new battery today as well. It seems to be running better than in my last thread.. Still need to clean the carb but I'm afraid to mess with the settings and risk it not running since I don't know the appropriate settings.

On an unrelated note...
Can anyone tell me how to check and make sure the oil and water/coolant pumps are both performing correctly? After changing the oil today I noticed the head got hot to the touch within a minute or so. and when I shut it off you could hear ticking like that of a car when it's turned off after it's been running for a while. I never heard this in the quad before, Not sure if that's normal or not this quad is new to me and I don't want to kill the motor if there is in fact something not working correctly.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Trailblazer

I've been wandering that also as I have a 96 king quad and recently before it started acting crappy started getting very hot within as you said about a minute at the cylinder head. Mine even gives off steam! It used to not do that when I bought it used and had to put rings in it to get it running. Rode it for good 3 months solid no problems and it just randomly one day started getting very very hot like you say your's is. I know I'm probably a little low on oil or I guess it could possibly be mine running rich on gas as my spark plug is covered in black soot and it's always dry when I take the spark plug off. I don't know if my oil cooler is working or if I'm supposed to be putting something other than just oil in the engine even though I have no idea where I would put anything else cause there is only an oil cap in the rear end.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for your reply. yeah maybe someone on here can point us in the right direction...C'mon fellas 100 views and no one can help???? I want to ride the quad I have today and tomorrow off but don't want to ride without making sure everything is working correctly!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

I would seriously look at getting a shop manual for your quad. You can get one online for less than 10 bucks and they will give you all the basic info you will need. Now, lean fuel will cause a meltdown where rich will actually cool it down (the excess gas that doesn't burn). Yes, the engines get hot pretty fast. I only run oil that says it for ATV's, their are special additives for wet clutches and such. As far as coolant flow, if the hoses are hot, the raditor hot, then it is problably flowing.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks. Yes I ordered a manual however it's being shipped regular USPS and says 8-14 days I can't go that long without tinkering with the quad haha which is why I ask! I took it for a little ride today in the trail up the street and it performed fine. The temp light didn't come on, I know the bulb is good because it comes on when ignition is first turned on like it should then goes away when started up. However no telling the sensor that activates the light works. The hose going into the top part of the jug is hot so I assume it's working... Should my radiator be full to the very top? because it isn't... but my overflow is plenty full, the coolant is clean. Can I use car antifreeze till I can get some ATV antifreeze shipped in? there is NO atv parts shops around me, it sucks! There's a Polaris dealership near by but they pretty much only sell machines not parts unless special ordered.

Can you tell me about lean condition, how does this happen? dirty carb?

Old 01-21-2011, 04:09 AM
Trailblazer

You have a radiator on yours? Mine don't at least not that I know of. All's mine has is an oil cooler in the front behind the bumper and it's got two hoses going in the top sides which lead back to the transmission I'm sure. Like I was wandering before am I supposed to be putting anything other than oil in the rear end where the cap is cause I've never seen any other caps or plugs on engine or anywhere else that I can put any type of liquids or coolants in it.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Pro Rider

250/300's are air/oil cooled. In reality, you shouldn't need the oil cooler till it is hot outside. Engine oil is pumped thru the cooler.

Quick Reply: quadrunner 500 4x4 oil change/level question