Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

quadrunner 160 carburetor adjusting...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 04:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quadrunner 160 carburetor adjusting...

my nephew just decided to try & get his dad's old quadrunner 160 running after it's been sitting in a barn for i would say at least 5 years. after a new battery it actually cranked right up but has very little power. if you let off the gas it dies. if you press the gas more than a little it dies. drained the gas & put fresh in it. took the bowl & float off & cleaned them out. there was a good bit of trash in the bowl. now after putting it back on the thing won't crank at all. it seems like it's a fuel problem but i'm no mechanic & don't really know where to go from here. there are 2 screws on the carb with flat head slots. one is knurled & i'm guessing it's the idle adjustment but the other brass colored one i don't know. if some one could point me to some kind of how to i'd appreciate it.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep knurled is idle. Other on controls idle and offisle fuel amount. Clockwise is less fuel. Sounds like it needs a thorough cleaning.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

After 5 years, the inside of that carb is probably pretty green and gunky, gonna need a complete tear down, I suggest finding a shop with an ultrasonic cleaning tank, that will get all the caked on crud in all the passages broke loose. More than likely, the pilot jet is plugged up, thats why it dies when you let off the gas. I let my 300ex sit in storage for 2 years, and that carb was a mess, took a lot of port blasting and scrubbing to clean it up, but it runs like a charm now, sold it to a co worker,and his son loves it to death. Time for you to crack open that carb and assess the damage.....good luck.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

yeah, the inside of the bowl & float were covered in crap. i can imagine what the jets look like. on a side note, i've got another 4 wheeler that's having float needle stick. it's sticking closed. doesn't do it all the time but normally when you ride it it's just a matter of time. i'm guessing some carb cleaner & a really small wire brush will clear it right up?

Old 09-05-2011, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

If the needle is all metal, I would spray some carb cleaner on some Scotchbrite pad, and spin the needle tip on that, that will shine it right up. For the seat, try a Q-tip soaked in carb cleaner, stuff it in the needle port and spin it, if you can see in and it isnt clean and shiny, try a dab of rubbing compound on a Q-tip to spin in there and polish it up, then blast it out with carb cleaner, and that should cure the sticking. If your needle is rubber tipped, just soak a rag with carb cleaner and spin the tip in it, don't want to rough up or damage the tip if it's not metal.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also check to be sure that the float or flaot pin isnt binding up or rubbing somewhere

Old 09-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

it's rubber tipped so i will try all of that. the float moves freely when the needle is off. the needle just has a tendancy to stick closed.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you can't get enough scrub on the needle, use an old toothbrush, whether manual or a battery toothbrush, and that'll help scrub it also in a small area. at least that's what works for me.......