Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

How much does your dealer charge for first service?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much does your dealer charge for first service?

I just bought a new King Quad 500 Axi w/EPS and was kinda shocked to hear how much the first service would cost me! My dealer charges $220 for the first service and made it sound like it is mandatory to keep the warranty since they change out the break-in oil and put in regular oil in the engine and differentials.

Just curious to see if this is the going rate for first service or what?

Old 11-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I've seen some say it was higher than that. Never took mine in, just did it all myself. Won't void the warranty if you do it, but make sure you have all the documentation to prove you did it.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Some dealers try to scare unaware customers into expensive "first service" maintenance with "cautions" that it would void warranty. As Scooter said you can do it yourself. All we did on the first service at 25 hrs was to change oil and filter,check all other fluid levels and just a general check out on the machine to catch any problems. Sure wasn't $220 dollars either.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:58 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My dealer charges $220 for the first service and made it sound like it is mandatory to keep the warranty
That crazy, even if you sold the ATV today as a used ATV the warranty traverses to the new buyer.
The "first service" is just a expensive oil change that you can do in 30 minutes for $25.

Only a 4 in our group bought new ATVs and both got the $200 first look over story, one from the Yamaha dealer,2 from Honda and the other from Can AM.
All of the guys never bothered with it.
All the warranties have long since expired now.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Range Rover

i paid $250 and have the exact same ATV. i'm not sure if the service varies from dealer to dealer but it's a lot more then just an oil change, mine checked the valves, changed ALL fluids, changed the spark plug and a few other small things i can't remember. sure most of it was very unnecessary but it was a real top to bottom job and it makes me feel better knowing that my first service is in the system so no one can say it wasn't done properly if i ever need warranty work which i actually ended up needing(wheel bearing) and the work was done quick with no questions asked

i agree it hurts to pay the price for that first service but personally i believe it's worth it even if the majority of the work was unnecessary they are still putting a few hours labor into it

Old 11-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you feel good about this,then that's all that matters,but look close at your owners manual on when fluids should be changed.Most recommend 100 hrs on Polaris atvs. Engine oil is is the main exception to this and recommended at 25 hrs on the first change and we did push 50 hr change intervals whether we did it or the customer depending on if the machine was used on a daily basis or as a farm/ranch machine.Casual use,then the owner could decide.I've done several "complete" services as you've mentioned that some customers insisted on,but when draining clean transmission and diff oil,chunking a perfectly good spark plug that should last a year or more,checking valves that are actually set loose from the factory,then to put a new plug in, more clean oil back in,then kinda makes you feel(at least for me it did) that it's completely unnecessary and more of a dealer incentive to relieve you of your hard earned money.We didn't pull that deception at our shop!Like mentioned before it has nothing to do with protecting your 6 month warranty from Polaris or any other dealer even if they tell you other wise.Dealers just go by the warranty terms,mainly length of time and verify little else on how it was maintained,that is unless one comes in dry of oil and locked up,then the warranty wouldn't amount to anything anyway.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If you feel good about this,then that's all that matters,but look close at your owners manual on when fluids should be changed.Most recommend 100 hrs on Polaris atvs. Engine oil is is the main exception to this and recommended at 25 hrs on the first change and we did push 50 hr change intervals whether we did it or the customer depending on if the machine was used on a daily basis or as a farm/ranch machine.Casual use,then the owner could decide.I've done several "complete" services as you've mentioned that some customers insisted on,but when draining clean transmission and diff oil,chunking a perfectly good spark plug that should last a year or more,checking valves that are actually set loose from the factory,then to put a new plug in, more clean oil back in,then kinda makes you feel(at least for me it did) that it's completely unnecessary and more of a dealer incentive to relieve you of your hard earned money.We didn't pull that deception at our shop!Like mentioned before it has nothing to do with protecting your 6 month warranty from Polaris or any other dealer even if they tell you other wise.Dealers just go by the warranty terms,mainly length of time and verify little else on how it was maintained,that is unless one comes in dry of oil and locked up,then the warranty wouldn't amount to anything anyway.
yeah most of what they had on the work sheet was unnecessary and the spark plug thing really threw me off, no idea why they would want to change a plug that only had 21 hours on it but at least i knew everything was good after the break in and the work is in the system so should never have warranty issues unless it's something stupid i do. i honestly did feel i was getting kinda ripped for doing all that unnecessary work but it was a one time thing so i just kinda sucked it up

Old 11-21-2013, 09:36 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I think I have not change my spark plug in 2,500 miles. Just because they change things that have no problem in the first does not make it a deal.

Change fluids after 25hrs what for? Might as well drain it in a bottle and resell the stuff.
Even if you changed a plug and all the fluids there is no way it comes close to $200.
Spark plug $4
Oil $20 and that's Full synthetic 2 quarts
Oil filter $5
Diff fluids $10

$220! that sure is a good gig I have to admit.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by TLC
I think I have not change my spark plug in 2,500 miles. Just because they change things that have no problem in the first does not make it a deal.

Change fluids after 25hrs what for? Might as well drain it in a bottle and resell the stuff.
Even if you changed a plug and all the fluids there is no way it comes close to $200.
Spark plug $4
Oil $20 and that's Full synthetic 2 quarts
Oil filter $5
Diff fluids $10

$220! that sure is a good gig I have to admit.
you forgot labor which i believe would be about 2 hours work(they always take their time) but yeah i never once thought it was a good deal and honestly it should be included with the atv, maybe that's something i should add next time i'm haggling but here in Canada they don't like to do jack when you buy things these days, very hard to get them to budge or add anything of any decent value

Old 11-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Andy578
you forgot labor which i believe would be about 2 hours work(they always take their time) but yeah i never once thought it was a good deal and honestly it should be included with the atv, maybe that's something i should add next time i'm haggling but here in Canada they don't like to do jack when you buy things these days, very hard to get them to budge or add anything of any decent value
Believe me if you haggle for a "first service" in with the purchase price, most of these "type" dealers will find a way to still make money from you! We got a lot of customers repeat business from area shops that tried to pull this. Most of them didn't care about repeat business,just milk the customer dry and move on to the next one. Places like this is why people call em "stealerships" which at first didn't set too well with me,but after reading about some of their experiences,I really can't blame them. Just like buying a car,find the best price,then do a little checking as to a reputable shop if you ever need something done other than regular maintenance.

Quick Reply: How much does your dealer charge for first service?