Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Carb tuning - Vinson

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb tuning - Vinson

I just ordered jets for my 06 suzuki vinson 500 man shift to go with my snorkle kit. Got them from jets r us they steered me in the direction of a #135 main #38 pilot. They said i do not need to touch the stock needle or idol mix screw...... Everything i read online says to use a dynojet adjustable needle when changing jets. Do i really have to change it or can i leave the stock needle n just put the new jets in.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I might raise the needle one notch down or up after you put the new jet in to see the difference it makes but always compare it to the stock setting the difference will be noticed at wot (wide open throttle) it will sputter out if its too high or too low. Its just finding the sweet spot

Old 07-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im not sure if the stock needle can b adjusted ill have to look. Any advice on the mix screw? How many turns out should be good?

Old 07-23-2014, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am not going to say for sure how many turns out is recommended because I honestly don't know. I generally don't remove them in a overhaul but if you already have I wold try 2 1/2 turns +or- 1/4 turn. Thats what was recommended for my beartracker and it idled just fine granted it is a smaller 4wheeler yours may need more or less turns out. If what I recommend doesnt suit you or just for your personal satisfaction I would contact a local atv repair shop tell them what all you have done to your atv and your jet sizes and ask if they have any recommendations for how many turns out it should be.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by creekbound
I am not going to say for sure how many turns out is recommended because I honestly don't know. I generally don't remove them in a overhaul but if you already have I wold try 2 1/2 turns +or- 1/4 turn. Thats what was recommended for my beartracker and it idled just fine granted it is a smaller 4wheeler yours may need more or less turns out. If what I recommend doesnt suit you or just for your personal satisfaction I would contact a local atv repair shop tell them what all you have done to your atv and your jet sizes and ask if they have any recommendations for how many turns out it should be.
Ive read on other fourms that pple who have done to there vinsons what im doing to mine have gone with a dynojet adjustable needle #140 main jet and a #38 pilot jet. Set the needle on 3rd notch and mix screw 3 turns out. But i dont have the adjustable needle or a 140 main, ive got a 135 main. Ive never touched the mix screw because its covered with a brass plug from factory. Maby ill jut leave it alone and see how she runs whn i put her back togather.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would leave the mixture screw alone since you havent disturbed it already. And on the main jet it does make a huge difference on it being tuned right it will probably run lean if you use the 135. The needle issue well its really hard to do but can be done. You cant really do anything about pushing the needle deeper but as far as raising the needle there is one thing i have done. Find a shim washer that has a hole tight enough to slide on the needle but not too loosely and overall size small enough to fit into the bore where the needle goes(some are a recessed hole and some are flat) andit needs to be as thick as the clip that is on the needle which is not very thick at all. Put that shim washer on the needle and reinstall the needle. And then compare your results. If it made it better add another and compare your results. Now if and when the result is worse remove one shim and you should have it set. A little really does go a long ways when you go to messing with needle adjustment

Old 07-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

ill do that. jets will be in tomorrow. I went ahead and pulled out the spark arrestor to clean it but it was one big pile of rust and I damaged it pretty bad getting I out, I started the bike and it idols fine but bogs wen I try to give it fuel, now im thinking the 135 main wont be enough with the 2in snorkel and no spark arrestor............

Old 07-26-2014, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I put the jets in and got everything back togather. It seems to run good. I think from idol to full throttle could b a little quicker but it dosent bog or sputter. Wot seems good also. She is definetly pepier. From wot in 3rd or 4th gear if i let goo the throttle and coast it will backfire after a second but only once, what is the cause of that, and just now i fired it up after sitting for a few hours and idol for 5 mins then **** it off the radiator was a bit warm to the touch.....

Old 07-29-2014, 07:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

The radiator getting hot that quick and backfiring are all symptoms of an engine running lean meaning you need to jet it. try that and let me know what it does I haven't worked on a bike exactly like yours but I am a 3rd generation automotive mechanic (im not saying this in any arrogant manner) but I have worked on a lot of different kinds of atvs, dirtbikes, utvs, and go karts. Im sure we will get it running like a champ with a little trial and error.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

I took the bike out on a ride with the guys saturday night for 5 hours, she ran great plenty of power. The rad gettig hot fast was due to it being caked with mud, i removed it from the bike n couldnt see thru it. Washed it out n now its good. The only issue i see now is when riding, in 1st or 2nd if in very light on the throttle like 1/16 to 1/8 throttle it seems like its getting and loosing fuel cuz i can hear the motor needing fuel. Other then that she has great low mid and hi range and dosent bog when in gear n i go from no throttle to wot. I think im going to order the needle spacers from jets r us and she what happens buy puttin in one at a time. Will i have to mess with the mix screw if i adjust the needle?