Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

What is this part? Quadrunner 500LT

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this part? Quadrunner 500LT

I've had two different people tell me the frame is bent on my Suzuki Quadrunner 500LT (2002 model), and although I'm utterly inexperienced at vehicle repair, I cannot find a single part of the frame which is asymmetrical except this yellow horizontal bar:

What is this and how would I go about determining the damage which has occurred? My best guess is that if it needs replacement, I would remove the bolts connecting the other parts of the assembly and slot a new one in there. But I'm a bit stuck on what it even IS so that makes things a little silly.

Additionally, there are metal bands securing the rubber object at each end of the rod. One of these bands has mysteriously been replaced with a zip-tie since I last took my ATV to the garage, I would assume this isn't correct. Would more of these bands be available in a DIY-kit?

Thanks

Old 01-09-2016, 03:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

For some reason the photo wouldn't open yesterday but did today. The drive shaft has nothing to do with the frame and these are often asymmetric, as the differential isn't always in the middle of the frame. You do need a new clip to keep the inner constant velocity joint from getting dirt and water into the boot. The problem is that non genuine boot kits have different clips to the original boot, and they need a special tool to fit them, if he doesn't have the tool, the mechanic may try the "bodge" of using a zip tie, it hasn't worked here. Car accessory shops may have metal CV boot clips that don't need a special tool.

Regarding the frame, Put the whole quad up on blocks, remove all wheels, measure from the top ball joints to the centre of the hub on the rear axle. Check if these distances are the same on both sides of the Quad, then do the same from the bottom ball joints. If the opposite side distances are the same to within 1/4" your frame is probably OK.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help, I've discovered the location of the bend in the frame. I didn't even believe it was there at first! This explains the weird zip-tie on the boot; I'll need to replace that boot so it doesn't leak all the grease.

Another question, how might you repair an approx 2-4° deviation in the frame which drastically misaligns the front end? It's pretty small relatively speaking, but the odd position causes it to offset the right wheel by almost an inch.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I borrowed a "porta power" hydraulic car body tool and put the ram on the frame where it would bend it back. It was a horrible job, and I suspect, better left to body repair shops.

You don't need a new CV boot, just the clip, though if water or grit has got in, it would be better with fresh grease.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My buddy rolled his Vinson and bent the frame where the A-arms mount. He brought it to me and I cut the A-arms in the middle. I found a solid round bar that fit inside the A-arm tubes. Put all the weight on the quad and lengthened the A-arm until the tires were straight. Tacked them in place and check the alignment. It was very close so I welded them solid. He is still riding the quad and that was back in 02. Tires wear even and quad steers great.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know why, but the boot has a huge tear in it, hence all the grease on the outside. I originally thought it was due to the zip-tie until I cleaned the grease.

It's great to hear that there's no need to buy a new drive shaft or something. Cutting the frame and welding a bar in the middle sounds like a great idea, my buddy has a welder and I have a rotary tool and cutoff wheels. I think we can make that work.