Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Treated wood, Sheet metal, or expanded metal for my DIY trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Treated wood, Sheet metal, or expanded metal for my DIY trailer?

I am building a 2 place full size ATV trailer. I am working with a few year old boat trailer. It is a single axle. At the moment I made the Bed of the trailer 180" long. I placed the axle at 60" from the back. I went with the rule of thirds. I can still move it anywhere I want. Being a boat trailer it is galvanized and the axle attaches via U-bolts. It looks Ok compared to the bed. Now the tongue will have to be shortened a few feet. At the moment I am welding in my angle Iron for cross braces. I started at the back and put them 24" on center. The angle Iron is 2" wide so it is a decient size. At the moment I can't seem to make up my mind on what I want for a deck. I origonaly thought I wanted expanded metal. It looks like a diamond plate pattern that is cut out for those that don't know. The their is always the posability of Treated wood. My concerns are that the expanded metal will warp on me. The wood sounds realy heay, and It will be harder to wash the quads off at a local power washer. Mud will fall through the expanded metal. Then their is always sheet metal.. I have pretty much ruled that completely out.

What do you guys use?
How do you like it?

Thanks

Old 01-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

How about using the expanded metal, with either wood or sheet metal as a reinforcement where the tires run?

Old 01-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Range Rover

I would use ply wood honestly, the expanded metal won't be sturdy enough with quads bounching on it........ Have you thought about just going with 2X6s or 8's and just spacing them out with like an inch or so space inbtween..... But i'd go with the plywood 3/4 at least...

Old 01-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

I vote wood. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also go with pressure treated wood, either regular 2x's or 5/4 decking depending on how much support you have underneath. It's not as heavy as you think, especially since it will dry out after a couple of months outside. If you are worried about cleaning the mud off the quads, just leave about 1/2' space between each plank. Just make sure that the PT is securly bolted to your frame as it will want to try to warp as it dries.

The planking will add a little strength to the trailer, while the expanded metal will not. Also, as others have pointed out, unless you have some kind of solid strip under the tires, the quads will bend the expanded metal into a dip. I've had both expanded metal deck trailers and wooden planks - I like the wooden ones much better.

Jaybee

Old 01-04-2006, 05:55 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a no brainer at this point.

If I went with the wood I was thinking 5/4 decking and spacing it a little like someone else said before. I just hope 2' on center is not spaced out to much and the boards will warp/sag. I could probably tie the wood with another 5/4 between the braces just to add to it a little.

Any one else?

Old 01-04-2006, 06:05 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah, coat the wood on top with Vortex or rhino lining. I have Vortex spray on liner(for truck beds) a little spendy but well worth it The oil and gas rinses rite off at the car wash and I had them spray around the recesed D rings and it works great and the wood is now sealed and will last longer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

expanded metal is the way to go, wood rotts and thats a b!tch to replace, i work at a welding shop and aslong as you have braces going across you should be fine it won't warp just make sure to weld everything down good and paint it all

Old 01-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

I am still undecided. I like the expanded metal for a few reasons.

1. Ease of installation. I just have to weld it. I like welding and I have plenty of wire and gas.
2. Easy cleanup of wheeler while on the trailer. Mud falls through the holes.
3. Cost. I can get it cheeper than treated wood and all the galvanized bolts needed to hold it down.

At the moment. I have the cross braces spread 2' appart on center. I am using 2" angle that is zinked or something. The span across the main rails is about 58". I think if I go with the expanded metal I will run small supports from front to back of the trailer. I'll space them so the ATV tires sit directly on them and that way I will have very minimal warpage going on.

$40 for a 4'x8' sheet of expanded isn't that bad is it? I'll need 3

Old 01-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Range Rover

Put 2X6 or 2X8 on the trailer, green treated hell they don't even have to be green treat just spray them down and a wood sealer before you put them on........ I wouldn't use expanded metal but thats just me......... Have you figure up expanded metal per sq foot cause around here that stuff aint cheap....... And hopefully your grinding off all that zinc plating on the metal before your welding it......

Quick Reply: Treated wood, Sheet metal, or expanded metal for my DIY trailer?