Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Trailer for 4 ATV's(?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 01:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer for 4 ATV's(?)

500-700 class Yamaha's and Polaris. Finding an 8' wide trailer looks to be a challenge.

I'm thinking 16-18 foot car trailer, and loading ATV's sideways.

Tow vehicle not a problem -- 2004 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 with 8.1L/Allison.

Thoughts?

Old 06-16-2016, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't think you'll have any troubles pulling that weight, truck wise.

I use a 12'x101" snowmobile trailer to carry 3 full sized quads. We rarely go above 3 quads. A 16'x101" will have plenty of room for 4 full sized if you don't mind it being open. If you want an enclosed trailer that size will work. Try southerntrailerdepot.com for good prices.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Moose: I didn't think to search specifically for "snowmobile trailer."

There are some snowmobile trailers on Craigslist here...but I'm leaning towards a double axle car trailer, and loading ATV's from side. Thoughts? Pros/Cons?

Know I will have to muscle ATV's sideways between the fenders.

Car trailer is nice because I can pull my '72 Chevy K-20 on the trailer, and park at the storage place...storing two items in one spot will save me $275 pear year (the cost of outdoor storage here in Omaha).

Old 06-17-2016, 01:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an 18ft car trailer we used to haul quads before. We could easily haul 4 quads with some room to spare. But yes, the axle does get in the way for the middle 2. The car trailer is good because its multipurpose. We later used it to haul a Toyota 4runner as well.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I've thought about the trailers with the fenders that take up a good part of the deck. I think I'd be inclined to make a full box that goes all the way across the height, width, and length of the fenders. Wouldn't bother the quads to be with one axle up on the hump, all facing forward. Would probably be worse to carry them, all facing forward, with only one tire on the fender. When I got the 12'x101" trailer I put a rim of 2x6's around the front and sides to keep the quads from rolling off if a tie down broke. Within 2 months of doing it we were returning from a winter ride and getting on the highway. I saw my friend's quad begin to roll as a strap let go. It kept it in the trailer long enough for us to stop and get another strap on it.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Loading side ways on a trailer with sides is a pain in the a$$. you may consider a flat bed snowmobile trailer as they are a little over 8' wide and are availiable in 14' lengths or 12' length. Most that size have a tandem axle with the smaller trailer tires to keep them low to the pavement. I had my own built by a fabrication co in my area and the price was much less than buying an already built new one. I designed it and they built it to my specs. That was almost 15 yrs ago and it still tows great, but I now use it for my UTV.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

One of these Triton side load trailers would be handy but they're pretty pricey Value Plus (ATV Trailers) - Triton Trailers. The ATV168 or ATV168-TR are 16 ft long and will haul 4 atvs.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Those are the trailer are used for my own design. Rather than having the sides fold up I had stake pockets added to the side of my trailer and made ramps from 2x10 material and bolted a couple 2x4 on to stow the ramps in the side pockets, they made a rail all around the trailer. When we arrived we just took the sides off and used them as ramps to load and unload. Worked great, still have it for my SxS but now use the side ramps in the rear of trailer for ramps. I had a fab co build mine from steel for about half the cost of the triton trailer. They will build to your specs.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:21 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
One of these Triton side load trailers would be handy but they're pretty pricey Value Plus (ATV Trailers) - Triton Trailers. The ATV168 or ATV168-TR are 16 ft long and will haul 4 atvs.
I was going to ask what the difference was in those 2 trailers but found out TR means twin ramp instead of a single ramp and the TR is 50 pounds heavier.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, the tr has the ramps you can separate. The other model just has one wide ramp, I assume 4 ft wide. I have seen a few similar trailers like these locally on craigslist but its usually the 2 quad model like this one for $900 Triton Aluminum ATV Trailer and here's a similar one by a different manufacturer for $800 ATV/LAWN TRACTOR TRAILER. So not terribly expensive used but the larger ones are harder to find.

Quick Reply: Trailer for 4 ATV's(?)