Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which 2010 Diesel tow rig?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 2010 Diesel tow rig?

I need to tow a triple axle toy hauler that has a GVWR of 16,500 lbs. That puts it above the rated capacity of gas engine trucks, and the pin weight is above the capacity of single rear tire one ton trucks. It has to be a 3500 dually 4x4 in order for it to work for what I need. I've got some ideas of what I want, but I have not commited to anything yet. I like the styling of the new Dodge HD the best, followed by GMC, then Chevy, and with Ford bringing up the rear. I like that the Dodge does not need urea injection. I don't like that the new GM and Ford diesels do need urea injection. I'm nervous about an all new engine from Ford, as they have had teething problems with prior engines. I've owned both Cummins and Duramax trucks before, and had good luck with both.

Which would you prefer, and why?

Here's the trailer

DesertViper

Old 12-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Pro Rider

Go GM/Chevy-the Dodges & Fords are so noisy you can hear them coming from a block or two away.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I've talked to owners of all three brands. A guy with the new Ford made diesel hates it. He's had trouble pulling a small Kioti tractor up and down the hills of NH. He says it feels like he's pulling with a gas engine. The guys I've talked to who have the Cummins or Isuzu/GM Duramax love them. The Duramax is by far the quietes diesel out there and has been very reliable. That'd be my choice if I had the cash and wanted to go the diesel route.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!

You definitely need a diesel? My boss has an 04 Ram 3500 Cummins and an 05 or 06 (not sure the year) 2500 HD with the 8.1 liter V8. Just my opinion but I prefer towing with the 8.1 over the Cummins any day... We tow about 13,000 pounds with it and the 8.1 tows like nothing. Not to mention we already had to replace the Cummins at 116,000 miles!

Old 12-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Trailblazer

The new Ram with out a doubt. The Cummins 6.7L is a beast, the truck looks the best by far and there is supposed to be a new suspension with a smoother ride when driving without a load. I am looking at the 2500 myself. I would put the GM next as I do think they look sharp and the Alison tranny has a great name. That is an awsome trailer by the way!!! What ever you get (Hopefully the new Ram ) be sure to post some pictures. The tough part for me is swallowing the cost. Who would have thought 15-20 years ago that we would be considering paying 50,60, even 70,000 dollars for a truck Good luck

Old 12-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Wow you can probobly guess my choice in a truck and all I need to say is this, You will never beat a inline motor for Longevity, Simplicity ore Reliability all in which case the Cummins is. I think my 3 trucks all with over 300.000 miles is proof enough for anyone tho I would take a 5.9 over a 6.7 and well before any V8 simply because af all the emmisions crap on all the new truck these days!

Old 12-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

I would wait till the 2011 Ford Super Duty's come out and get the new 6.7 Scorpion Diesel. Get a nice F-350 crew cab dually with all the options.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

Look's like this may be needed to pull it!!

Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ATVrider89
You definitely need a diesel? My boss has an 04 Ram 3500 Cummins and an 05 or 06 (not sure the year) 2500 HD with the 8.1 liter V8. Just my opinion but I prefer towing with the 8.1 over the Cummins any day... We tow about 13,000 pounds with it and the 8.1 tows like nothing. Not to mention we already had to replace the Cummins at 116,000 miles!
I really prefer the responsiveness of a good running gas engine, like the 390 HP Dodge Hemi, to the doggy turbo lag performance of a diesel. So trust me, I would MUCH rather have a gas engine truck than a diesel. I've owned both before, and the gas engine truck is a lot more fun to drive.

I've been reading the cummins, duramax, and powerstroke forums, and there are literally THOUSANDS of people having problems with their diesel trucks. It used to be that you bought a diesel so that you would have a more reliable engine, but with the current crop of computer controlled and emissions choked engines, that is the farthest thing from what you get. I don't see even 10% as many complaints on the gas engine truck forums as I do on the diesel engine truck forums.

But, ... none of the manufacturers build a gas engine truck with a tow rating high enough for the trailer I own. Even the Ford V-10 has a lower tow rating than the Ford Powerstroke.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by DesertViper
I really prefer the responsiveness of a good running gas engine, like the 390 HP Dodge Hemi, to the doggy turbo lag performance of a diesel. So trust me, I would MUCH rather have a gas engine truck than a diesel. I've owned both before, and the gas engine truck is a lot more fun to drive.

I've been reading the cummins, duramax, and powerstroke forums, and there are literally THOUSANDS of people having problems with their diesel trucks. It used to be that you bought a diesel so that you would have a more reliable engine, but with the current crop of computer controlled and emissions choked engines, that is the farthest thing from what you get. I don't see even 10% as many complaints on the gas engine truck forums as I do on the diesel engine truck forums.

But, ... none of the manufacturers build a gas engine truck with a tow rating high enough for the trailer I own. Even the Ford V-10 has a lower tow rating than the Ford Powerstroke.
If you have not drove one of the current crop of diesels you would be suprized about how turbo lag in pretty much non existant. When it comes to towing once you dive a diesel you will never go back to gas again!

Quick Reply: Which 2010 Diesel tow rig?