Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2006 wolverine 450 sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 wolverine 450 sputtering

hi all,

been a while since i posted. my 06 wolverine 450 has been sputtering on top end. the atv has 1600 miles on it and has never been serviced than just for oil changes and spark plug.

last winter I had ITP mud lights on them and probally rode it for 400 miles or so with them on with the stock clutch.. I put on my stock tires for the summer ( cause it was so slow with the mudders on there) to get my power band back.. it was stuttering on top end too with the mud tires..

seems the problem started 2 weeks ago.. its fine on the bottom end but at full throttle has a stutter.. I ran a can of carb cleaner thru it... it did make a little improvement but not much..

the service guy at yahama told me a few months ago when I asked him about a valve adjustment and he said as long as it starts it doesnt need to be adjusted.

and another thing too I know it has been answered,, but what does it mean when the reverse gear indicator light flashes? it does that sometime... if somewon could point me in a good direction to start troubleshooting Id appreciate it...

thanks,

mark

Old 06-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: blackturbo

hi all,

been a while since i posted. my 06 wolverine 450 has been sputtering on top end. the atv has 1600 miles on it and has never been serviced than just for oil changes and spark plug.

last winter I had ITP mud lights on them and probally rode it for 400 miles or so with them on with the stock clutch.. I put on my stock tires for the summer ( cause it was so slow with the mudders on there) to get my power band back.. it was stuttering on top end too with the mud tires..

seems the problem started 2 weeks ago.. its fine on the bottom end but at full throttle has a stutter.. I ran a can of carb cleaner thru it... it did make a little improvement but not much..

the service guy at yahama told me a few months ago when I asked him about a valve adjustment and he said as long as it starts it doesnt need to be adjusted.

and another thing too I know it has been answered,, but what does it mean when the reverse gear indicator light flashes? it does that sometime... if somewon could point me in a good direction to start troubleshooting Id appreciate it...

thanks,

mark</end quote></div>

Sounds like it is running rich. Have you cleaned the air filter?

As you can see below that the problem could come from several sources. Start with the free and inexpensive stuff.
Clean the carb and air filter.
Clean and regap the spark plug
You may have to take the carb off and clean it good and check float level etc.

I don't think I would be asking the tech at the Yamaha store too many more questions.

Problem: Medium or high speed impaired
Condition Remedy
1. High RPM "cut out" against RPM limiter 1. Shift into higher gear - decrease RPM speed
2. Main jet obstructed 2. Clean main jet
3. Needle jet obstructed 3. Clean needle jet
4. Throttle vacuum piston not operating properly 4. Check piston operation
5. Filter obstructed 5. Clean filter
6. Float height incorrect 6. Adjust float height
7. Starter valve not fully closed 7. Adjust valve

Problem: Engine lacks power
Condition Remedy
1. Valve clearance incorrect 1. Adjust clearance
2. Valve springs weak 2. Replace springs
3. Valve timing out of adjustment 3. Adjust timing
4. Piston ring(s) - cylinder worn 4. Replace - service rings - cylinder
5. Valve seating poor 5. Repair seats
6. Spark plug fouled 6. Clean - replace plug
7. Rocker arms - shafts worn 7. Replace arms - shafts
8. Spark plug gap incorrect 8. Adjust gap - replace plug
9. Carburetor jets obstructed 9. Clean jets
10. Float level out of adjustment 10. Adjust float height
11. Air cleaner element obstructed 11. Clean element
12. Oil (in the engine) overfilled - contaminated 12. Drain excess oil - change oil
13. Intake manifold leaking air 13. Tighten - replace manifold
14. Cam chain worn 14. Replace cam chain

Old 06-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Trailblazer

you forgot to mention a few important things I found out from my dealer. there is a safety switch on the rear brake hand lever (I dont have rear brakes and have loosened the cable all the way to prevent me from accidentally squeezing it and cutting into the rotors). the guy at the service center said this switch can come mis adjusted and tell the computer its always in park...which sounds like my problem, it runs fine at idle at low throttle and sputters at full.. he said this would make it sputter also at full throttle..

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem,,, its only two wires to the switch,,i didnt ask him how to override it... anyone know... Iam kinda counting on this to be the problem?

mark

Old 06-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

I was referencing the service guy because I never heard the statement 'if it starts the valves don't need adjustment'. I can show you tons of engines that start but need vavle adjustments. His statement seemed a little odd to me and was wondering if he knew what he was talking about or just stated it differently.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry for forgetting to mention a few important things. If you already know the answer then why are you asking the question.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Trailblazer

well, i want to know if anyone else had the problem and what they did about it. maybe you are just answering as many posts as you can because you apparently have alot of stuff you are "soliciting" ,,or selling... I need to know what to do about this stupid safety switch...

Old 06-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer

and another thing, you dont even have a wolverine... I dont need an artic cat answer ,,lol...

Old 06-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: blackturbo

and another thing, you dont even have a wolverine... I dont need an artic cat answer ,,lol...</end quote></div>

How expensive is the switch to replace?
Not necessarily an AC answer just general trouble shooting, applies to most any engine.
Only takes three things for an engine to run 1)compression, 2)air/fuel mix, 3)spark
Any not within specifications then they don't run correctly or at all.

I wish I had a wolverine so that I could have the same problem and be more accurate... lol....

See what is says below - I am just a Dummy - lol...

Old 06-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

Since it doesn't look like your Wolverine coligues are coming to your rescue, look at it this way at least you have someont to talk with...lol Even tho' I am the enemy with the AC... hehehe....

May I suggest what to do with that 'stupid switch' (no, not that - what you are thinking), you could always replace it. Do you suppose that would help solve the problem with the switch.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:20 AM
Trailblazer

funny mine did the same a few weeks ago ended up being the carb need a good cleaning and i also har a ring of dirt around the needle causing it not to open fully under full throttle. HTH

Quick Reply: 2006 wolverine 450 sputtering