Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 Warrior Ignition problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Warrior Ignition problems

Alrighty guys, got my Warrior all rebuilt and it is running great, but after a rough day of riding out at the Badlands park, and a ton of bogging, my kill switch wouldn't turn the quad off. Nor would turning the key off. However, although the bike was running great, it just shut itself off on two different occasions. I can't seem to find any wiring faults anywhere, so does anyone have any shots as to what may be going on here? I am ruling out mechanical failure at this time. All my mods are listed on my page.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'd lay money down that something got wet in the electrical system. I'd start checking the wiring harness where it runs up the rear subframe, they're known for getting worn thin and shorting out there.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

That was what I figured as well, as I know that deep mud and deep water is a killer, but I have looked over the harness a couple of times and found nothing. However, I do not really know what actual components could cause this. I am off of work Thursday and am just looking to bounce some ideas off everyone before I pull it out in the daylight then and see what I can manage to find.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think (don't know, THINK [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] ) That hitting the kill switch on the bars or turning the key off grounds the ignition to shut it off. I'd start by checking that it is actually doing that. A wiring schematic could be very helpful with this. If you don't have one I can link you to a warrior service manual I uploaded that has schematics in it.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

heck, this may also be one of those things that if you sit it out in the sun for a couple hours everything dries out and the problem goes away. My neighbor's 87 trail boss was known to do this at random times, and usually the same problem never repeated twice. One day it wouldn't run at all, try it again the next day and it fires right up perfectly. One day it appears that the battery no longer holds a charge so we pull started it, and from that day on the battery was always fine. One time when I was riding it a hard clunk came from what appeared to be the bottom end of the engine, and the thing coasted to a stop and wouldn't start. We figured the motor was blown, and didn't even bother messing with it. So it sat out in the woods for a couple months before we even bothered to tow it back, then it sat a couple more months in his garage. One day somebody was in his garage and asked him what was wrong with it. He said that he thought the motor was blown, and that something came apart inside the motor. Walked over and hit the starter button to prove it, and the sumbitch fired right up. Ghosts.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

My Clymer manual has the schematics, so I'll check into that. That really is about the only logical thing, at least that comes to my mind. However, I am not sure how that would kill it whilst the quad was running. (Unless I forgot to put the switch back in the on position...)

And hey, I know what you are talking about there. Gotta love those kinds of problems. Of course, I do prefer being able to find a fix, of course, so it doesn't happen next time I feel like doing some serious bogging and creek riding. If I can't find anything wrong I'm still going to pull all my connections apart and cleaning everything up and put some dielectric grease on them all, to be sure I don't have any more problems.