Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

My '06 Wolverine 450 wont keep running!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '06 Wolverine 450 wont keep running!

I have had a problem with my '06 Wolverine since it was 6 months old. At first when I washed it, it wouldn't start again without 2 hours of running the starter. The dealer was no help. They said they had to see it acting up.
Then over Thanksgiving, at Glamis, I took it for a short ride, hit a couple of whoops at speed and it died. Towed it back and wouldn't start again. It was the same symptoms as before. I could crank it over and over but it wont start.
Took it to the dealer on the way home. They opened up the carb, cleaned it a bit (or so they say), and put it back together and it ran.
I took it out again this last weekend, and after a 20 mile ride it died again. towed it back to camp, and tried it again and it ran.(?). Took off again and it died after 1/2 mile. After each time it died, I tried for awhile to get it running. This is my Girlfreinds ride. She said just as it is dying, it is backfiring and popping then nothing.

This has been the exact same pattern from the beginning with the popping.
To me it seems electrical,(rather then the carb) as it turns on and off. When it is on, all works just fine. When it is off, it wont go anywhere..

Anybody have any ideas?
........or want to buy a bike?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider

Nobody?
I am going to take it back to the dealer today. I wish I could have it at home now, because we are expecting 2' of snow today!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

man that sucks, id take it back and say give me something that isnt screwed up!!

sorry for your troubles hopefully you will see the end of it soon.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Next time it dies..check for spark. Have a spare spark plug along, and just unhook the one on the motor, and put the spare in the wire, and crank with it against the motor. Get spark?
If its popping before dieing, thats a sure sign of lean carburator. I'd start by cleaning the carb, and checking all the vents. Gas tank vent and carb vents. Look for crud in the float bowl, or even water in the float bowl, either will cause lean running problems like you describe.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

I had a buddy that had a similar problem with his wolvy a couple of weeks ago. It was starving for fuel. We took the vent tube off and blew thru it. I had become clogged by mud. Make sure you blow away from the tank and not into the tank. I dought that is the problem but its worth a try.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer

my wolvy does the same thing when its low on fuel. when you look in the tank it may seem full but you will be surprised so try filling it up then see.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the ideas. The dealer did clean the carb last visit. I dont think there was much to clean. I have had a dozen or more bikes and quads over the years and have never had to clean a carb. I am in Southern California, so I don't do mud riding, mostly dry desert and sand. So I think they stay a little cleaner.
I took it to the dealer and he rode it around the block a few times and it worked just fine. I told him to give it to someone to ride over the weekend.
They will now have it for awhile to try to locate the problem.
I am ready to trade in the bike for another one.......we'll see.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yhea the wolvy does tend to have a problem with the vent hose clogging up with debris and mud and causing problems with full throttle or dying. Check your vent hose to make sure and then reroute it up by the airbox.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:46 AM
ross.graziano

mine had the exact same problem. have u gotten it in any water and flooded it? my carb was all jacked up.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer

i had a simular problem, but mine just would nt start one day, the dealer and they said it had oil in the air filter ( wich was from rolling down about 25 feet) dont know if this is the answer but it worth a try.

Quick Reply: My '06 Wolverine 450 wont keep running!