Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly cdi

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly cdi

Hi,

I have an 07 Grizzly 660 and was told that a cdi from a Raptor 660 would interchange on my Grizz and give me more power all the way around. Can anyone verify this? If so, what years of the Raptor cdi would work? I'm mainly looking for more bottom end, but would gladly take more performance the whole way around.

Thanks,
Josh

Old 02-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Grizzly cdi

anyone know anything about this?

Old 02-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Grizzly cdi

Are you sure its not refering to the 700? the 660 is not fuel injected, so it won't have a CDI

Old 02-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Grizzly cdi

OK, I have no idea. I had just heard that from someone and wanted to do some inquiring before I tried it. I did a search on eBay and found many cdi's for both the grizzly and the raptors, from 600's to 700's. Is there another way to get more bottom end without doing pipe, air box and jets?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Range Rover
Default Grizzly cdi

I dont know if it will work, but dont give up. Keep checking into it because you definitely (sp?) have a cdi. I dont know what the guy before is thinking?

Old 02-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Grizzly cdi

I joined this message board in hopes that someone out there would be able to answer this question. It makes sense to me that it would work, but Im not sure what years to get the cdi from. Hopefully ill find something out somewhere and be able to get more bottom end without the expenses of pipe, etc.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Range Rover
Default Grizzly cdi

Have you checked into clutch kits?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Range Rover
Default Grizzly cdi

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lerea3

Are you sure its not refering to the 700? the 660 is not fuel injected, so it won't have a CDI</end quote></div>

i'm not sure about what joshp is referring to, but pretty much all non-fuel injected quads have CDI boxes, it's their ignition system, ex. yfz450 is carbed, and i have a CDI box...my wolverine also has a CDI box, i think you meant something else?

Old 02-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Grizzly cdi

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lerea3

Are you sure its not refering to the 700? the 660 is not fuel injected, so it won't have a CDI</end quote></div>

I think you're confused... The cdi is not fuel mapping... The CDI itself is really just an amplifying switch with time delay. It sits there storing up electricity in a capacitor, then the pulse sensor spikes the input, the CDI waits a small amount of time and then puts the burst of electiricity it stored into the coil. That small amount of time represents the advance curve of an engine, ie at idle an engine may need 10 degrees advance but at full revs it may need 40 degrees advance. By delaying the signal and having the pulse sensor in the right place, the CDI can make sure the engine is getting the right advance curve.

That being said... the CDI's that come with the grizzlies are about as maxed out as you can get... Unlike most factories... yamaha doesn't limit the grizzly's cdi as much. This is why you see a lot of aftermarket cdi's out there for the other brands.

This is also why to get more speed out of a 660 rhino... you stick a grizzly 660's cdi on it...

Back to the orginal question about should you use a raptor's cdi on a grizzly? I don't know the answer to it... If I had to guess, I would say no, since the raptor 660's engine is a little different than the grizzlies... (it is running 2 carbs to the grizzlies 1 for instance.) Also, the power distribution on the grizzly is much different because of the transmission setup compaired to the raptor...

Any other "educated" answers out there?

Also, if you're looking for more bottom end... There are other ways to achieve it... If you're running bigger than 26" tires... you should install a clutch kit... ($100-190) After that, you might want to look into Mudbuster Cams... (about $129) More than that, you're gonna need to get an aftermarket exhaust to get that puppy breathing more... It just depends on how much you want... and what you want to spend. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Range Rover
Default Grizzly cdi

nice info hebs, i just didn't wanna get into that much detail, haha.

Quick Reply: Grizzly cdi