Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

muffler packing

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default muffler packing

i have a white brothers e-series slip-on and i'm going to repack it. i'm stumped on which kind of packing i should get. does anybody have any idea's or suggestions on what is good and bad and what will work with my e-series?

thanx

ok i did some looking around and i found ALOT of silencer packing of all kinds of brands. that also claim to have sound damping. i'm still stumped on what is good and what's not. some brands were FMF, MSR, MOOSE, FLY, there were others but i for get the brands.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default muffler packing

They're all about the same, it's just fiberglass packing. The only stuff I ever used was FMF because that's what the local shop carries, and that works fine for me. I really don't think there's a big difference no matter what you get, I just wouldn't get the cheapest ebay special you can find because you may end up with some pink panther house insulation instead of real packing...

The bigger difference is how you actually pack it. You don't want it packed in so tight that your exhaust just flows straight through the core and completely bypasses the packing, but then you don't want it so loose that it all gets blown to the back of the can and doesn't work either.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default muffler packing

which one do you use? i saw FMF has 2 or 3 different ones. one that is like a bunch of strings and one that is 4 different layers of different matrial.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default muffler packing

The one with different layers is probably the quietest one. The one that I always used (and i'm not even positive that this was FMF) was just one solid sheet of packing that was enough to do a couple laps around the perforated core. We have also used the stringy one, but I think that's more for 2 stroke pipes.

The only problem I can see with using one of these is if it's too short for your exhaust and you have an empty space on one end. Most of FMF's 4 stroke exhausts are designed stupid though, and stick out past the grab bar so they should be long enough.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Range Rover
Default muffler packing

damn dont waste your money, use house insilation its same thing and WAYYYY cheaper

Old 02-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default muffler packing

ok, i see that rocky mountain has the FMF 4 stroke silencer packing that comes in a bag and is a sheet. i'm assuming that's what you used.? will that bring my sound level down a bit? i was looking at some other brands that measured 11" x 16", the FMF one doesn't list how big it is, but i'm assuming i should have enough.... right?

Old 02-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default muffler packing

I don't know enough about it to say that it definitely will be enough... i'll say that it SHOULD be enough.

I'm sure it will bring your sound levels down. How old is your e-series and do you ride in water, mud, wet conditions?

Old 02-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default muffler packing

well it depends on how much rain we get but then again i do ride in some pretty big puddles but not to the point where my muffler is in the water. i'm not exactly sure how old it is. it came on the bike when i bought it so i wanna say at least over 6-7 years old.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default muffler packing

With that age it definitely needs repacked. Packing is really supposed to be replaced every 1-2 years to maintain sound levels, and if the pipe gets wet inside that pretty much means that your packing is instantly shot.

As old as it is, your packing is probably just a big hard lump all pushed to the end of the silencer. That doesn't do anything to reduce sound outputn

Old 02-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default muffler packing

yea i kinda figured because it's LOUD for one and it also sound sloppy. it doesn't have that nice tone that it's supposed to.

do you have any other suggestions on the different types of packing?

Quick Reply: muffler packing