Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Older atv ( 86) HardStart / High RPM Misfires.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 03:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older atv ( 86) HardStart / High RPM Misfires.

So guys, I have a much older atv I got a couple years back. Things I have done to it so far - Routine services, High performance air filter,rejetted air bleed screw, New gasket for Carb , and switched the throttle from a twist to a thumb throttle.

Electrical - When i first got the atv, the electrical start barely worked. Would work then not work. Decided not to fix it since it started with pull start. And I dont like messing with electrical. When it HAD a batterie, the nuetrual and reverse light started to go out.

It started having issues like year ago with starting, more recently tho. About 6 months back I got a richer air bleed beacuse the guy and my repair manual said its suppose to be like a 25 and the guy had a 15 in it... lol....

Just after I moved we had to pull start it(!!!!!) :/ Never had to pull start it before. When it started I roadit for like 10 mins, and my uncle noticed that there was a little bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust/muffler and wanted to die at idle, I even decided to turn the idle rpms up so it would die... lol Nuetral to first was like a roadie-o bull. Turned iit to the appropriot idle rpms and wants to die still. Uncle said that the rings are going bad on it. I asked could it be the valves too? HE wasnt sure on the valves tho.

More recent - I decide to check the spark plug and it was fouled badly, so I adjusted the air bleed to be leaner, didnt help much so I thought it could be the oil leaking into the combustion chamber. I just took it out for a ride over the weekend and was luckky to start it in 4 pulls with choke off. Took a 6 mile ride, towards like 3 miles, it started to misfire at high rpms, I couldnt get it into 5th gear, I was scared to death, So I kept it in 4th and rid it all the way home, And just before I get home like a mile and a half, i get behind this bus and all of a sudden BAMMM took off like crazy, When I came to a stop like a mile away shifting it was super quick lol, Never experianced so much power from her EVER lol.

BEfore I pulled into the drive way i noticed it was kinda hot, Now I dont meen like over heating hot. Just hot.

So as soon as I pulled it into the garage, I shut it off. Tommarrow or when ever I get a chance im going to check the plug, if it looks lean or CORRECT color, im going to assume its the ignition coil.

Now my question is, can bad stator coils make a ignition coil seem bad? I dont want to spend 350$ aprox on a 700$ old atv if I dont need to.

PLEASE I have looked all over for anwsers but I can not find any. I just want the atv to run where I dont have issues and be out in the middle of the woods and cant start the damn thing.

Ignition assy - 100$ Pulse coil in stator 120$, lighting coil 55$, the other coil is like 86$... And new rings cost like 35$ to 87$.

Anything to help me would be awesome and, I do not own a mechanic shop so I do not have many tools to do certain jobs on the atv. Looking for quick fixes that will not ruin my atv, such as leaning out the carb so the fouled plug doesnt have to burn the gas+oil combsits.

thanks guys!
Idk if I said that it had a weak spark when i rejetted the air bleed but it does lol.