Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

old motor ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old motor ?

I have a 1997 timberwolf 4x4 that has a knocking sound after it warms up. I do belive it is a rod. Any way I was wanting to know is there any thicker oil or oil additive that could help? I am running 20-50 ATV oil in it as of now. It sounds and runs good until it gets warm. Yes I know I should just have it fixed. But it is a older bike and I am going to run it till it dies and then see about getting a newer one. I'm just trying to prolong it as long as possible..
Thanks in advance for any info you guys can offer.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Only oil I can think of that may be thicker is crude oil straight out of the ground Throw some STP in there for good measure,but she can still blow at any time........ Good luck on your next machine if you don't want to put any $$ into this one. You could realize a little extra $ out of this one when you try to sell it if the cases, cylinder,head,etc aren't completely trashed out if the rod gives way.....OPT

Old 07-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah I will probably rebuild it eventually and my wife will ride it. would the STP hurt the wet clutch?
Thanks for the welcome. It looks to be a really nice site. Lots of info on here. Glad to see a site that isn't so dedicated to one brand..

Old 07-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just joking on the crude oil and STP Best to address the problem before it does any more damage than just knock. The Yamaha experts should be coming on board and give you better advice than I can on what to do. Good luck OPT

Old 08-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wow !

Nobody ?? I'm just looking for info on how to prolong the rebuild for a bit or at least try to until I can get the $ togather. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Old 08-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Pretty sure all on board might be in agreement that once an engine starts making noise,then best to park it until you have the $ to repair it. Nothing's going to prolong an already damaged engine and worse things can happen if you continue to drive it. Just my old again OPT

Old 08-04-2012, 06:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sometimes the clutch will make an noise when gets warmed up....Try this first...After the noise started up/// Push the throttle an little bit to make the clutch enage to help tigthen up the shoes and spring,,See if noise goes away then...This is an little trick that works for me...If clutch is wore the noise will go away then......If the noise still there then it is possible you have crank/rod wear...Just an trick to see if rod or clutch....Good Luck...

Old 08-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

It makes the knocking sound only when it is warm and under a load. When you get to a steady speed and stay there it goes away until you put it under a load going up a hill or just accelerating . for lack of a better way to explain it.

Im understand the just rebuild it attitude. But I live in the middle of the Woods and when it rains the quad is my only way to make the 1 mile trip to the end of my drive.
I do not have the $ to rebuild it right now! So im trying to see if there is any tricks to help it last a bit longer as I save the $ up to rebuild it. Like I said above it sounds great when it is cool but the oil thins out when it warms up and it starts to knock. Yes it is fresh oil. Just thought there might be a additive that would be wet clutch safe.?
Thanks for the replies so far guys..keep them coming..

Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

If the rod is knocking it has already died. Your just trying to find a way to make it more expensive or not worth fixing.
Though it may not be a rod. Perhaps someone familiar can offer more tip on what other noises this model might make. But heavy oil or not you will be walking or spending money

Old 08-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help here guys. The Yamaha dealers 20 yr mechanic said that 99.9 % of the time it will cause no harm when it goes and to go ahead and add some STP or Lucas to it and ride it till it dies !

Quick Reply: old motor ?