Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2005 Wolverine first atv, help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Wolverine first atv, help needed

I have a 2005 Yamaha Wolverine that I just bought. It's the first atv I have ever owned.

After taking it for the first real ride a few issues became apparent.

1. it seems to be lacking in the power department, it has no snap to it. I stopped on a hill (not steep at all) and even in first gear I had to get off the atv and walk beside it to get it to have enough power to climb up. Going down the side of the road, in 3rd gear it started to bog down going up the slightest of inclines, it seems to top out at about 25mph! It idles fine and seems to run fine. I read about the parking brake problems, and that's not it because it's already unhooked. Guessing the previous owner disconnected it hoping that would solve the problem. Maybe I am just expecting to much out of a 350?

2. I pulled the spark plug and it was black, it's running rich I guess? does not seem like much smoke is coming out of it though. I put some seafoam in the gas. and sprayed some in the carb.

3. going through puddles the engine sounds like it's about to cut out. after a few deep mud/water holes it started running like crap and I barely made it home. I'd have it pinned in first gear and the engine wouldn't do anything, but sputter and surge. I let it sit for 15 minutes and it got better, then after sitting over night it seemed fine.

4. the air filter is dry, should I replace it or just buy the oil spray for it? it does not look that dirty.

Thanks in advance! sucks to have these issues after buying my first quad.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check thye main jet in the carb. Sounds like there is some debris in it. A buddy bought a new Wolverine and it ran like that right from the start. I found junk in the main jet. That quad should do well above 25mph and take off on any hill.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks I will give that a shot and see how it goes. I am going to change the oil an filter and dif oil tonight as well as take the carb apart and clean it.
Originally Posted by Dazeys
Check thye main jet in the carb. Sounds like there is some debris in it. A buddy bought a new Wolverine and it ran like that right from the start. I found junk in the main jet. That quad should do well above 25mph and take off on any hill.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

if its a foam filter it should be oiled, the oil is your only defense in keeping debris out of the carb and cylinder, if it is foam i would start with compression testing because depending how long its been dry its probably done alot of damage to your piston rings and cylinder walls, clean the carb, and OIL the filter dont use the spray get the yamaha brand

Old 09-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer

I oiled the filter, but don't have any way of testing compression. Buddy of mine did the valves and cleaned the carb, it's running better now but still has no power, seems slow to rev and like its getting to much gas.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will it change if you pull the choke? It might be stuck open letting more fuel in. You need to check the compression also.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Trailblazer

As soon as you touch the choke it runs like crap. It runs and starts up much better with the choke off. Turn it on and it will barely eve idle. It starts fine without the choke when cold.

When doing the valves he noticed oil in the exhaust valve and said it may need rings? But its not blowing any blue smoke. I will look into buying the tool to test compression. When you put youthumb over the spark plug hole and turn over the engine it seems to have good compression.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

the thumb over the spark plug hole is a decent old school compression test method, if it blows your finger off its generally good. only thing i could think of is valve lash, and or timing if you say you did the carb already

Old 09-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

also just thought of it if you choke it and it runs worse cold it means its getting too much air, you check all your carb and air filter boots that they are tight and not cracked anywhere?

Old 09-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Trailblazer

maybe a new carb. i hope u get ur quad figured out. its a good little machine.

Quick Reply: 2005 Wolverine first atv, help needed