Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine 350 No start after sitting 4 years

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine 350 No start after sitting 4 years

Hello,

Im trying to help a friend. He hasn't ran his bike in 4 years and tried to start it last week. It ran then died. Now it will not start and i have drained the fuel in tank and carb. Replaced with 3 oz of seafoam per gallon and new fuel but still no start. Will seafoam break up the stuff and help her crank after a day or so? Or will i need to remove the carb? Trying to go the easy route if that will work.

Thank you,

Old 12-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Gonna have to clean the carb. I'm surprised it ran at all without cleaning it 1st. Next time before something sits for 6 months or longer, put some Stabil in the tank and run the engine long enough to get some of that Stabil in the carb. Then shut the fuel off and run the engine at idle until it runs out of fuel and cuts off. It's alot cheaper and easier. Tell your friends!

Old 12-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so any idea how to clean it? I have never tried this before.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well i tried easy way and sprayed carb cleaner in intake for a bit. Now she idles but only with choke. At least it runs some now. If i take choke off or add throttle she dies. Gonna let her sit all night with carb cleaner sprayed into intake to see what happens.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Range Rover

Hay partner pull the carb. off and apart, next to your main jet is the smaller pilot jet. it is plugged. remove it and clean it. if you don't have a jet cleaner "torch tip cleaner" you can use a small strand of wire from 12 to 16 gauge wire... be patient it's probably clogged good and fussy... if you are unable to clean it there is a small # stamped into it ie; 30 or your manual will have the #. your local shop should be able to set you up with a new pilot... at the same time charge the battery, drain the tank. ck- the pet **** for debris, fill it ans run alittle stabile.... remember to have fun.... thats what this is really all about...

Old 12-24-2012, 02:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Danatack has you covered dont be lazy take that carb apart every jet and needle after four years it all needs to soak overnight in gas ,scrub, unplug and put it back together, and your friend owes you some beers.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 1sawtooth
The easiest way out is to just loosen the carb enough to twist it sideways enough to get the bowl off. It's 4 phillips head screws that will strip very easily, so make sure you have the right size screwdriver. You don't have to remove the throttle cable. Once you have the bowl off, clean the bowl, remove the 2 brass jets and blow some carb cleaner through them, make sure you can see light through them, then put everything back together.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:38 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by 1sawtooth
Go on Youtube and search "Carb cleaning" many good videos on how to do it. Is not hard to do and good to know.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well i got everything cleaned and still no work. Said the heck with it so took 2 miles down to road to dealer. Hes saying there is a cracked piece in the carburator that cannot be purchased seperatly. Choices are new carb for 600 (not goung to happen) or glue and expoxy piece so bike runs this week. Im letting him glue it so it works for our trip. BUT i want a long term fix so will by a new one later and put in myself. So should i buy chinese one or rebuilt oem on ebay?

Old 12-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

I would get a used 1 off ebay. I bought a used carb for my LTZ400 for $40 off ebay.

Quick Reply: Wolverine 350 No start after sitting 4 years