Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

advice needed/electrical/Wolvy3

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice needed/electrical/Wolvy3

Ok guys..I have a bad starter relay..quad was shutting down, always at low rpms...I thought it may be my park brake rev limiter, so I unhooked what I thought that was (white connector)..I unplugged and taped it up..yesterday went out and would not start with push button, so I jump over the relay solenoid and it fired up..I ran for 10 min shut it off, then it started with pushbutton..while I was pulling out the bike died on me..then it would not start with pushbutton, so I tried the solenoid trick again..this time it would not start with solenoid, push button, and it would not pull start..it was getting dark..I thought I smelled a burnt wire smell too..so today I want to put the multimeter on it, I know I should check battery voltage, both sides of relay,( which I know is already bad)..but I think I've burnt something up starting it from the relay so many times..anybody had any issues like this, or can someone give me some troubleshooting advice?

Old 08-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I ran a wire straight from the positive battery terminal to the starter..while it was cranking I pushes the throttle a couple of times and it fired up..idled. For a couple of minutes then died..tried it a couple if more times and it never started again...when it was idling I thought I heard a crackling /popping type sound coming from the voltage regulator or Cdi..I just can't figure this out..I know my relay solenoid is bad, but this is out of the equation once it gets started right? my battery checked at 12.3v...I checked and cleaned all connectors I could, sanded metal connectors here and there..I am banging my head against the wall here

Old 08-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Since I didn't have a helper I couldn't tell if I was getting spark, but my plug looked like a tan color and was dry

Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well my brother in law brought over his wolverine ...I put his relay on, his primary coil ( that plugs into spark plug) and still no spark..the only thing I couldn't put on was the handle kill start button switch cause the connectors are different ..still banging my head in this..I can't believe no one had any advice ..I thought this was a pretty active forum