Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2004 Blaster won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Blaster won't start

OK. Bear with me - this is a long story.

I have a 2004 Blaster. I was riding it 2-3 years ago, and in the middle of riding it, at high rpm, it just shut off. I couldn't get it to start at all. Turns out, it didn't have spark. I replaced the plug, coil, wire, and plug cap. Still no spark. My dad and I tracked it down to the stator being bad, as it was out of spec. We replaced that about a year ago. Afterwards, it had some spark but it seemed weak still. I got frustrated and it's been sitting since.

Now, I'm trying to get it running again. I found a thread in which someone said to put a test light on the orange wire going into the coil, and that it should light up continuously with the crankshaft. With a kick, it would get one dim light, and that was it. So I thought the CDI Box was my issue.

I got a used CDI box on ebay that supposedly was good, because the dealer wanted $180 for it. $70 later, it still wouldn't start and the test light shows the same result as the old CDI box. So, I figured it has spark at least, and damn near everything electrical has been replaced.

It still won't start. As far as my finger over the spark plug hole, it has compression. It doesn't seem to be getting fuel properly to the plug, as it's basically dry after trying to kickstart it. I tore the carburetor apart to clean it, and the bowl is filled with fuel. The reeds look OK as far as I can tell - no holes, they're not bent, etc.

I tried pouring a bit of gas into the top of the engine and then starting it, nothing. Tried spraying carb cleaner into the carb while kickstarting it, still nothing.

I am at a loss. It appears that the TORS is still connected, but my understanding is that it would have no spark if that were the culprit. We disconnected the wiring for the 2 stroke oil injection system a few years back and have been just mixing it with the gas if that matters. It doesn't even sound like it wants to start.

QUICK VERSION:
  • shut off at high rpm while riding, won't start
  • new plug, plug cap, wire, coil, cdi box, and stator
  • carb has been cleaned
  • reeds look good
  • seems to have decent compression
  • won't start with gas or carb cleaner either
  • it has fresh mixed gas
  • TORS seems connected, injection system is disconnected

Old 04-19-2014, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I would guess you're low on compression and you need to rebuild the engine. To prove this you could buy a compression tester, or an easy free way is to just remove the exhaust pipe and see if you can view the piston and rings, they normally burn up on the exhaust side. If the rings are melted/broken and/or the piston is scarred up then you're due for a rebuild. Luckily the Blaster is one of the cheapest/easiest engines to work on.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Raptor450
I would guess you're low on compression and you need to rebuild the engine. To prove this you could buy a compression tester, or an easy free way is to just remove the exhaust pipe and see if you can view the piston and rings, they normally burn up on the exhaust side. If the rings are melted/broken and/or the piston is scarred up then you're due for a rebuild. Luckily the Blaster is one of the cheapest/easiest engines to work on.
Well you guys were right. Tested compression and it only had 25psi.

Dropped it off to have the bore looked at and top end ordered.

Yep, that was the problem.

Threw a compression tester on it - only had 25psi..Dropped it off to have the bore measured and top end parts ordered.
Well you guys were right. Tested compression and it only had 25psi.

Dropped it off to have the bore looked at and top end ordered. Y

Old 04-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Originally Posted by rideordie1113
OK. in the middle of riding it, at high rpm, it just shut off.
Gotta be careful with those high rpm on the 2 strokes lol!