Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Keep getting water in my gas! 2013 Grizzly 300

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep getting water in my gas! 2013 Grizzly 300

So, among all the issues Iv had with this thing. (Radiator fan spun off, had to rig in something different since I was not about to spend 160 dollars on a new one) and the starter took out (burnt up like a piece of char coal..) I keep getting water in my fuel! I had it sit at the mechanics for about a month before he got to it and he couldn't get it to run because it had water in the gas. He drained it out and showed me. He said he's never seen anything like that before get water. The gas cap is vented but the tube is fed downward so water won't get in. I keep it under the car port but I figure ill have to throw a tarp over it to make sure nothing gets on it from now on,a nd never to ride it when theres a chance of rain. Has anyone else had any issues like this before on anything else? Would replacing the gas cap help? It isn't leaking any fuel that i can tell, (no gas smell, or anything like that) so its coming in from the top, when it rains I believe..

Old 07-24-2014, 03:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I fix quads for a living and water in the fuel is common. Although a missing vent pipe is a common cause, filling from a can that has contained water, water in the fuel from the filling station, kids "pretending" to refuel the quad by using water, and condensation in humid weather are all things I have come across. Water is bad to get completely out from a tank, so expect the odd splutter and occasional carb stripdown before you get rid of it altogether, unless it is fuel injection, in which case a very careful cleaning of the tank is required.