Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1991 Yamaha Big Bear Progression/Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 09:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Yamaha Big Bear Progression/Build Thread

New member here, my name is Doug. If I'm posting this in the wrong place, please move it if necessary, I did read the "intro/new members" stickies and didn't see a reason why I couldn't post here so please let me know.

Anyways, I own a 1991 big bear that I bought off of a friend of mine for $160.00 because he swamped it in a small pond on his farm . Anyways, came up to me at school because I have been making him offers since he swamped it and he finally gave in the day of our last exam, told me I could have it, and he would drop it off the following Saturday. Awesome, dropped it off at my house, ATV still about 85% there, the rest (head, carb, exhaust) was all in a box. I didn't expect anything more, it was only $160.00.

Pushed that thing into my backyard (garage is filled with my track-civic/parts and other misc.)

Grabbed an oil pan and flushed the engine with motor oil until there wasn't any "milk" left in the bike, proceeded to order a piston kit off eBay with cylinder and gaskets, and then went to Royal Distributing to get; ignition coil, spark plug cap, stator, carb rebuild kit, air filter, oil filter, oil, and a few other miscellaneous parts i can't remember. All in for just under $500.00.

And the POS finally ran! So I reassembled the bike so that I could actually drive it, drove it around the back yard and block running it through the gears and it was all good!

Pulled it into the back-yard and pulled apart the brakes, bled the brake lines, readjusted the shoes (they looked brand new), and tinkered with the rear caliper. And it was set!

Also didn't want to bother f'cking around with a tiny recreational battery so I slapped a big car battery in a box, and strapped it down to the back rack, makes everything sooo much easier. (Boosting, charging, changing etc.)
Here is a picture of it after I put it back together,
Name:  119.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  121.3 KB

I don't have a before picture but just picture a destroyed big bear. lol.

Thanks for reading, i'll be posting on a weekly basis of what I have already done, and future plans!