Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

about to throw this carb out the window!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about to throw this carb out the window!

I have a Yamaha breeze. I had to replace the starter motor and then bought a carb rebuild kit.

The kit did not come with everything I had expected, and a couple of parts that do not go to my carb.

anyway, onto the weird thing. When I first had the bike starting and running, there were times it would Idle good but sputter bad when you tried to drive, and times when it wouldn't idle without the choke on.

Since then, I have cleaned the carb more, done the rebuild. NOW, the choke will not close! It wont go down at all. I did not change the choke cable, spring, or brass! It has been taken out and re-installed many times, but other than that nothing has changed and yet it will no longer close.

I tried a lemon juice/boiling water bath to clean the carb (thinking this might do better than carb cleaner and maybe junk in the choke hole was keeping it from moving) but that didn't help any.

I even tried removing the O-ring from the choke (which should be the widest part of it) and it still wont go down into the hole and close!

Anyone ever had something weird like this? The bike seems like it could run with a properly operating carb....but id hate to spend $100 on a new one only to find it still has some other issue. With the choke unable to close, I cant give it a decent test drive as it gets rich and bogs.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another question:
one of the parts in the carb rebuild kit that I didn't think went to my carb I just found is called a choke jet.

But in the Yamaha breezed manual, it doesn't show up on the carb section and I wasn't able to find it on the carb itself either....yet the ebay ad I got the pic from says it is for all years of the breeze!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YFA1-BREEZE-YFM-125-GRIZZLY-Yamaha-New-Genuine-Starter-Choke-Jet-18M-14144-09-/261831149877?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf65a4935&vxp=mtr

Old 07-27-2015, 03:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I have never had to work on a Breeze cab but check if the problem is with the cable by removing it and seeing if the plunger then closes the choke.