Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help with 01 Yamaha warrior 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 07:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 01 Yamaha warrior 350

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum... First off I want to say that I have searched the web high and low and can't find an answer... So here's what's going on.

I got a 01 Yamaha warrior on a trade, it didn't run, has a bad stator so I fixed it and got it running ran pretty good and had a lot of power and started right up, but there was a ticking like the valves needed to be adjusted so I adjusted the valves and still made a ticking noise... So I looked at the timing and at top dead center noticed that the cam was flipped at 180 degrees. So I flipped it and got all the timing marks aligned and reset the valves. Put everything together and had a hard time starting it but it eventually fired up and sounded great no more ticking and sounded real healthy. So I shut it down and now it has a very very hard time starting get it going for a quick second and then stops and doesn't want to start....

I don't know what to do now or what to check for. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-09-2016, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Chris Grieco
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum... First off I want to say that I have searched the web high and low and can't find an answer... So here's what's going on.

I got a 01 Yamaha warrior on a trade, it didn't run, has a bad stator so I fixed it and got it running ran pretty good and had a lot of power and started right up, but there was a ticking like the valves needed to be adjusted so I adjusted the valves and still made a ticking noise... So I looked at the timing and at top dead center noticed that the cam was flipped at 180 degrees. So I flipped it and got all the timing marks aligned and reset the valves. Put everything together and had a hard time starting it but it eventually fired up and sounded great no more ticking and sounded real healthy. So I shut it down and now it has a very very hard time starting get it going for a quick second and then stops and doesn't want to start....

I don't know what to do now or what to check for. Any help would be greatly appreciated
If the cam is installed correctly, then I would think your valves may be adjusted too tightly.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

I did readjust the valves by the book with a feeler gauge, to the correct sizes and when it was running the ticking was gone and sounded great then I shut it off and went to start it up again and it won't start.... But started right up when the cam was upside down

Old 06-09-2016, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Chris Grieco
I did readjust the valves by the book with a feeler gauge, to the correct sizes and when it was running the ticking was gone and sounded great then I shut it off and went to start it up again and it won't start.... But started right up when the cam was upside down
Something else may be wrong...another problem. Have you checked the plug when it won't start....wet, dry, and what about the spark.....constant...blueish in color?

Old 06-09-2016, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know... I did change the coil and put a meter to it everything seems to be like
It should