Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know whats ironic, is that I saw somebody selling a rear axle For a 98 big bear for $250 in my hometown just the other day. Um, also, if I put weight on my right front wheel, it gets traction. The more weight I put on my fender, the more traction. I just put on a 15 lb dumbell the other day and it works great. I always feels like I'm driving in 4-wheel drive anyways.....

Old 01-12-2018, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default rear axle

When u say crown wheel, do u mean there's a wheel inside the bevel box?

Old 01-13-2018, 03:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

A gear wheel, in fact two gear wheels, the crown wheel and pinion change the drive direction. The axle shaft goes through the middle of the crown wheel and splines on both make the crown wheel drive the axle round. If the splines get worn, usually because the axle bearing has gone and nobody has bothered to fix it, the axle starts slipping on those splines. The longer you drive it like that, the more likely you will need both a new axle and crown wheel as well. Yamaha were changing rear axle designs nearly every year in the late 90s so the new shaft needs to be for the right year.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default rear axle

OK, I'll replace the rear axle with a new one. Something should work. I noticed on amazon.ca, theres one at East lake Axle for $187.00 + 5.00 shipping.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Take the shaft out and check the splines on both shaft and the crown wheel that drives it. no point in just buying a new shaft if the crown wheel splines are also shot. Check the bearings. There will be one just for the shaft on the LH side plus one in the brake carrier on the right. Also the crown wheel and pinion bearings need to be OK, they mostly are, but the cause of your axle spline problems is usually because the LH shaft bearing wore out and wasn't changed.