1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

help diagnose stator

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gozrstubs
Also how do you test stator as only have 3 wires to a connector block and ones separate
Most stators have three separate coils of wire in them. Yours may only have two since you may not have the high voltage AC power winding for an AC powered CDI. As mentioned before, look for the Black/red wire soming out of the stator. It would probably be one of the loose wires. If you have it then you have the third winding. If you don't, you don't have the third winding.

Winding 1: (Battery Charge winding) This winding is several hundred turns of wire of heavy gauge wire. It is connected to the yellow and white wires. You should measure 1 to 2 ohms between these wires. But remember that you don't need this part working for the quad to start up and run. It will run off the battery for long enough to verify the ignition system is working. If you have problems here then address them later once the quad runs.

Winding 2: (Ignition Trigger Pulse) This is a small winding (a pickup coil) which is mounted outside the flywheel. It tells the CDI when to fire the spark plug. One side of this coil is tied to ground. The other is usually a blue/white wire which goes to the CDI. It should measure 150 ohms or so to ground.

Winding 3: (AC Ignition Power) You may not have this winding if your CDI is DC powered. It consists of thousands of turns of fine gauge wire, It generates moderately high voltage (up to several hundred volts at high RPM's) to run the CDI. This winding is grounded on one side, the other side usually comes out on a Black/Red wire. If you have this winding it should measure 450 ohms to ground.

Measuring the resistance of these windings is quick and dirty, but not the best test. The best way to test the stator is to measure the AC voltage out of each winding while disconnected from the wiring harness and cranking the engine with the starter motor:

Winding 1: 9.5 volts AC (yellow to white wires)
Winding 2: 0.2 to 0.5 volts AC (Blue White wire to ground)
Winding 3: 85 volts AC (Black/Red wire to ground)

Old 11-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi there i have 1 ohms on the yellow and white wire and 125ohms on blue/white not 150 does that matter, do you have wiring loom for that model

Old 11-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Electrical Expert

hi there i have 1 ohms on the yellow and white wire and 125ohms on blue/white not 150 does that matter, do you have wiring loom for that model
125 ohms is probably OK, but again the most definitive test is to measure the AC voltage while cranking the engine with the starter motor.

I don't have a wiring diagram of a 150cc quad with a DC powered CDI. Down below is a wiring diagram of a 150cc quad with an AC powered CDI. Some of it is the same while some of it isn't. The differences will have to be worked out.

Hook up what you have. Get an ignition switch and wire it up (you still haven't answered how many wires it has). Get the thing cranking the starter. If there's no spark then start measuring stuff at the system level to find out why. Really I think trying to test each individual part all by itself is difficult, error prone, and a waste of time overall.

Name:  QuadSchematic1.jpg
Views: 12776
Size:  77.4 KB
Name:  QuadSchematic2.jpg
Views: 14825
Size:  66.4 KB

Old 11-06-2009, 01:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

It has only 4 wires out of stator cheers for your help and what do I do about the red/black wire out of stator as I don't have one

Old 11-06-2009, 05:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am buying a universal wiring loom with all the bits on does it matter if the cdi is ac or dc cheers

Old 11-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Electrical Expert

It has only 4 wires out of stator cheers for your help and what do I do about the red/black wire out of stator as I don't have one
You reported in your very first post that you had a Black/Red wire at your CDI. Since you don't have a Black/Red wire at the stator then your CDI power must come from somewhere else - which is why I suspect a DC powered CDI.

So you have a Black/Red wire from your CDI that disappears into your wiring loom. It must come back out of the loom somewhere, and will still be the same color. Look for that wire, then verify that it is the same wire with an ohmmeter. Look at what it plugs into. That gives a clue as to where your CDI power comes from. This same technique of following wires through the loom can be used to trace out all the wiring on your quad.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Electrical Expert

I am buying a universal wiring loom with all the bits on does it matter if the cdi is ac or dc cheers
It makes a huge difference.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

K cheers it doesn't go anywere. That's what make me think there is wires missing can I buy a dc powered cdi and loom

Old 11-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default same problem

I have a 05 wildfire 250 qac i think thats wat it is. mine wont start either.When i try to start it it sounds like the gears from the starter to the other gears are just spinning. I got mad and flippied it the one day and ever since theen its been like this. Any help would be appreciated

Old 11-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is my cdi unit dc please

Quick Reply: help diagnose stator