1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

"New" Kazuma Meerkat

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sawyer
Maybe post a pic of the air box with the cover off so we can see what type of set up it is.

I have a little 50cc motor bike that works like that. But it has a 2 plastic I guess you could call mesh things that support the foam. But yes sure you could find some sort of foam and stick it in there and it would probably work fine. If you used the clamp on style then of course you'd have to remove the current air box set up.
The airbox screws are tough to get to. I have the same type of airbox that was on the link that aaronrkelly posted. It has the flex hose from the carb to the little round box with an intake tube. I was going to do the same thing. Some 1/4" hardware wire as a backer and some cushion foam as a filter. I'm not sure the 50cc could generate enough suction to pull that foam through the hole but, I'm not willing to find out the hard way.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OneTenCC
Geoff, it's the same deal for me in the Buffalo area. I'm still trying to find an LT80, a small Polaris or the likes, but they just aren't there. The 3-5yr/old ones that are, are selling for $1000-2K. I can't justify that. You get chastised and bashed at the mention of a "Chinese quad" in most places ('cept here of course). Like said, it just seems like the <150cc way to go.
To give you an example how nuts it is for kids atvs up here.

New honda 90cc lists at $3700!!! Yes I know its a good quad but come on!
New Honda 250EX lists at $6700 (this spring) they wanted $6600 cash with pdi and frieght.
Again come on they have to be crazy!! You know when buying one of these you are going to loss a pile of cash as soon as you drive it off the lot on resale.

Buy a used MIC 90cc atv for what 300-400 bucks, kids drive it a couple years and decide if they like atv's, then dump it or give it to a friend for his kids etc. Even if you get nothing for it you're still way farther a head.

Ironically I paid less for my NEW 350 4x4 with a winch and snow plow then a new 250ex.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

MIC - Made in China
MIC - Motorcycle Industry Council

All along I kept getting confused when reading these posts about "MIC" quads.

I always use MIC to represent the second definition as it represents the major brands.

Who made up MIC to be Made in China???

The real MIC has been around a lot longer , since 1914!

Here is a description of the two orgs that represent the major brands

The Motorcycle Industry Council is a not-for-profit, national trade association representing manufacturers and distributors of motorcycles, scooters, motorcycle/ATV/ROV parts and accessories, and members of allied trades such as publishing companies, advertising agencies, insurance firms and consultants. The MIC is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., with a government relations office adjacent to Washington, D.C. The organization has been in operation since 1914.

Since 1983, the Specialty Vehicle Institute of America® has promoted the safe and responsible use of All-Terrain Vehicles through rider training programs, public awareness campaigns, and state legislation. The SVIA also serves as a resource for ATV research, statistics, and vehicle standards. The SVIA, based in Irvine, Calif., is a not-for-profit trade association sponsored by Arctic Cat, BRP, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, Polaris, Suzuki, Tomberlin, Tomoto and Yamaha.
------------

Old 12-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

MIC = Made in China

I don't know it's what I've seen on here... may that MWQ started it lol!!

Old 12-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Geoff_NJ
That's funny. I had a few questions about the one I already bought but was afraid to ask at the local dirt bike shop up the road. It is what it is. Maybe I can't go all out but, my kids can still have fun. We might complain about the Chinese but, in this case, they are filling a void in the atv market...and doing it well from what I can tell.
On an automotive board where I've been a member for years, I asked about Taotao ATVs and mentioned I was ordering one for my kids. You had to see the crap THAT stirred up; "How could I even consider putting my kids at risk like that", "They are death traps", "are inherently unbalanced and unsafe (where name brands are not)". I moon-walked right out the conversation. I know the quality is not going to be there based on the price, but I like to tinker with equipment and it's just going to be a yard mule for the kids anyway. At 4,6 and 8, even the 4yr/old has outgrown and worn out the various hand-me-down and yard sale 12V Power Wheels stuff we've had.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by OneTenCC
On an automotive board where I've been a member for years, I asked about Taotao ATVs and mentioned I was ordering one for my kids. You had to see the crap THAT stirred up; "How could I even consider putting my kids at risk like that", "They are death traps", "are inherently unbalanced and unsafe (where name brands are not)". I moon-walked right out the conversation. I know the quality is not going to be there based on the price, but I like to tinker with equipment and it's just going to be a yard mule for the kids anyway. At 4,6 and 8, even the 4yr/old has outgrown and worn out the various hand-me-down and yard sale 12V Power Wheels stuff we've had.
I did look into safety too. As it turns out, there are injuries and deaths equally across the board. Chinaquads [new name...lol] and major brands. One lawsuit I was reading was going after Sundiro/Roketa, etc. for a little girl getting her toes amputated from an uncovered chain/sprocket. As it turns out, she was wearing, "fuzzy bunny slippers." Well, duh...

Here's another. YouTube - Crazy 4-Year Old on 4-Wheeler Yes, he's wearing a helmet. As dumb as the whole thing is, and as much could go wrong, the machine is stable and doesn't look "top heavy."

I also like to tinker with things. I've never met and little motor that, short of cracked pistons or cylinders, that I couldn't get started. At least enough to get it home.

Those prices you mention are crazy. I'm not sure how our dollars are trading but, that's allot of scratch either way.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

Don't put blinders on. These things are dangerous no matter which factory makes them. It seems most in this forum have enough sense to keep their kids from unnecessary danger. ALWAYS wear a helmet, get youth ATV training, ride on properly sized ATV, etc.

Now, chinese quads are more inherently dangerous. Just recently, one of you guys mentioned a front spindle breaking off leaving the ATV rolling on three wheels until the front end augered into the ground hurling the kid over the front bars. Whoever said that also said they were cracking up. Should be more like ON crack!

So very lucky on that one, no bad injury but it could have ended up far worse.

I've not heard of front spindles breaking off on a big brand (MIC) but I am sure it has happened. But I would take 10-1 odds that a china bike will break like that a lot more.

Sorry for the rant and for dissing who made that post but especially at this time of year when kids get their new "toy" ATVs, it is even more important to remind ourselves these things are dangerous without proper oversight. Stay safe!

Old 12-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by windtrader
Don't put blinders on. These things are dangerous no matter which factory makes them. It seems most in this forum have enough sense to keep their kids from unnecessary danger. ALWAYS wear a helmet, get youth ATV training, ride on properly sized ATV, etc.

Now, chinese quads are more inherently dangerous. Just recently, one of you guys mentioned a front spindle breaking off leaving the ATV rolling on three wheels until the front end augered into the ground hurling the kid over the front bars. Whoever said that also said they were cracking up. Should be more like ON crack!

So very lucky on that one, no bad injury but it could have ended up far worse.

I've not heard of front spindles breaking off on a big brand (MIC) but I am sure it has happened. But I would take 10-1 odds that a china bike will break like that a lot more.

Sorry for the rant and for dissing who made that post but especially at this time of year when kids get their new "toy" ATVs, it is even more important to remind ourselves these things are dangerous without proper oversight. Stay safe!
I agree. I'm a stickler for rules and safety with my kids. Your post is dead on too. We, as adults, forget how dangerous these things are. Maybe not to us but, a 50cc rolling onto my 4 year old is like a 600 rolling onto me. I never thought about the spindles being a problem...

Thanks for the reminder...

Old 12-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer

Here's my 6 year old on an 86 80cc Moto4...

Our collection of toys for the day...

He didn't fit on the little green Kawasaki. That and it didn't move him around very well.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Range Rover

I'm hoping given the amount of time now that these Chinese ATVs have been around, plus their ability to quickly improve on quality have eliminated some of the hardware breakage issues. I've heard stories of horrible welds on early models ATVs, shoddy rubber and plastics, but not so much now. Consider the little cheap "Chonda", OHV single cyl, outdoor power equipment engines. They were pretty bad 5yrs ago. Now they are on everything that was once powered by Tecumseh. Not the best, but pretty good. We'll see! In the meantime it's; Helmets, long pants, substantial footwear and parental supervision to name a few.

Joel

Quick Reply: "New" Kazuma Meerkat