1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Satisfied China ATV Owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. Im new. Name is Curt. Just got my 4 soon to be 5 year old son a Tao Tao 125 110 cc quad. well. Im still on the fence as to whether im happy or not. It runs. but right out of the crate I had problems. The carb would keep leaking thru the float bowl drain hose. the gas would just pour out. I was pissed I must say. The boy couldnt ride it the first day. had to take the carb off and take it apart and lo and behold the damn float pin slid out of the float hinge. so i put that back together and it ran fine....till the carb started leaking again. lol. had to rip it all back off again and check but the pin didnt come out that time. must be something stuck or a particle of somekind. yes you need to put a fuel filter on these for sure, so I did. plus right out of the pump the gas is poor. all kinds of sediment in it and I dont know what. only been on for a few days and the filter already has caught a bunch of junk. then i noticed that the rear disk brake rotor was bent...but it is not the rotor cause i ripped that off also to check. its what connects the rotor to the axle is whats off so Im going to have to fix that, anyone know where I can get that part? I can get a pic if necessary. and yes theres a ton of that gel crap in the carb. i think it would be best to just take it off and clean it real good. all of it does not dissolve in the first gassing. it was all over the inside of the intake manifold and in the engine. wiped out as much of it as I could. but that was after he already ridden it all day. lol. so all in all these things are cheap , but you better be ready to tinker with them. im already "choppin" stuff off it. got rid of those pesky N and R lights. somehow a wire got loose and shorted something out...blew the main fuse somehow. the frames dont seem to bad but i have seen much better welding and can probably do a better job myself but its ok. and the parts a real cheap. me im wondering if an actual yamaha motor would fit in these frames without too much modification. I believe these are based on a yamaha motor. wonder if the mounts would be the same? the tires and axles seems good but them golden yellow bolts constantly come loose. Im gonna loctite them for sure. i have been neck deep in cb 750 choppers for the last 4 years so im kinda familiar with stuff like this. glad i found this place. this thing is fast also. even with the throttle limiter all the way in with retaining bolt removed still fast for a 4 year old but my boy is pretty big and i figured the smaller 70 cc wouldnt last very long. but i say this with the throttle limiter all the way in the motor does not wind the CLUTCH up enough to pull it up a hill from a stop. it will burn the clutch plates out very fast. its already slipping. after 3 long sessions. i ordered more already. plus I wish I would have found this place before he ran it cause I was figuring that oil that was in it was no good. im going to change the oil today. anyone know how much it takes roughly? THANKS

CURT

Old 05-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:59 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Welcome to the forum 222CT!

Thanks for the review..

About 28 ozs of oil...I use Valvoilne 10wt-40 in all of mine.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by 222CT
Hi all. Im new. Name is Curt. Just got my 4 soon to be 5 year old son a Tao Tao 125 110 cc quad.

CURT
seems the first things to do on these is change the oil out imediately, it isn't engine oil at all....lol it's vegetable oil, if you got a good nose you can smell the food it was used to cook.....lol
some are Honda clone and some are Yamaha clone motors, usually the smaller up to 150cc is Honda clone, 200-250 depending on manufacturer can be Yamaha or Honda clone. power sports max seems to have almost every manufactured Chinese part you can think of.
ATVs Parts,Dirt Bikes Parts,Scooters Parts,Go Karts Parts,Pocket Bikes Parts
ATVs Parts
with those 2 alone you should be able to find anything you need.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Tao Tao 135D

I just got a couple of Tao Tao 135D quads this weekend. I am pretty happy with them and the 5 hours my boys got out of them yesterday. One runs perfectly...push the starter and off it goes. The other has a small issue that even a complete novice like me can get around. I really don't know much about small engines (or the big ones). The second quad doesn't want to idle when you first start it up. I'm not sure whether I am adjusting the air-intake or the idle, but if I turn the screw almost completely clock wise, it seem to correct things at startup. After a few minutes, the quad idles faster, so I just back it off a little more. Takes a couple of adjustments as it warms up, but then runs good. If it's shut down and cools down, we start over. From my very limited knowledge of carburetors, I think it is the air-intake that I am adjusting. I think the idle is capped, based on where I think it should be.

I've read alot of these posts and was a little leary of purchasing the MICs, but it was my best option. Twin boys were never going to enjoy sharing one quad, and two of the big names were out of my price range. They had a blast on them yesterday, and couldn't thank mom and dad enough.

I'll keep searching the posts for the solution to my idle problem (have seen some references to a bad gasket), but for now have an acceptable work-around and two happy boys. Thanks for all the posts...I did change the oil immediately, at least. Sorry for the length.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer

I'm a happy owner of a Shineray 250STXE. I've done some repairs for the past 10 months.Now I wan't to start moding thw quad.Allmost no people think that the CHINESE quads are any good but if you maintain the properly you will have allmost no worries.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have had my 2005 Baja Wilderness 250cc for 2 years now so far the only problem I have had with it was I welded the clutch to the clutch bell, my falt. I was trying to go up a sandy hill and when it stoped moving I keeped the gas on. But other then that it is the bast damn $250 I have ever spent. And I ride it for atlest 4 hours every weekend. I think it is funny when every one in the trails will say how much of a peice of crap chineese ATVs are untill you pull them out of the trails. For the price they are great machines.

Also if any one needs help finding parts for the little later model wilderness (not the ones with the front and rear racks) just let me know and I will help in finding the parts. I have located almost every part for it. Took me 6 months and no help from Baja but I did it.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought my son an Eagle 110cc (looks like a Kazuma, Loncin powered, Buyang Mfg.'d) for his fourth bday almost 4 years ago. It has been a great little machine! After 2 or 3 years of hard riding ( he was doing jumps on it after a month or two) in mud and snow and the occasional trip to the mountains. He's probly put on more than 1000 miles a year since he got it. had to replace the rear swingarm bushings and brake pads,and adjust the intake and exhaust valves and tighten the chain and charge the battery once in a while, but thats all just regular maintainence. It still runs as good as the day we first started it, like new! Just shows what proper prep and maintainence can do for longevity.

Now we're shopping for the next one.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

if you take care of your quad, it'll usually take care of you. And if it all does go bang, you haven't really spent a fortune on it

Old 12-31-2010, 01:34 PM
Trailblazer

Hi all...haven't posted in a long time, but wanted to post about my Marshin 200MHT. I am on my 4th year with it and have really had no issues. I really don't ride it hard much and do my annual maintenance. The only issues I have had are that most of the lights/horn have quit working and that Blue Ridge Global Feat seems to have vanished. It is still very cold blooded and the transmision has gotten notchey. When it warms up here, I will take the light console apart and clean the pin switches and all will be well. At first I was worried that it would fall apart but it has proven to be to be a very reliable machine. It appears to be the exact same machine as a Jet Moto. They are a higher end MIC. All in all, it is a great entry level machine.

Quick Reply: Satisfied China ATV Owners