1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

can anyone help

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can anyone help

hello my son has a kazuma 110 falcon that won't start has no spark, the tests I did are as follows: I unhooked the kill switch wire out of the CDI wiring harness at the CDI connector, then checked for spark, still no spark, then I measured the voltage on the AC ignition power pin to ground while cranking the engine and measured 35.3 volts AC, then I measured the voltage on the timing trigger pin the same way and measured .13 volts then I measured the resistance in ohms of the kill switch wire to ground with ignition on and kill switch on and had an open circuit and I did a continuity test and measured the resistance of the ground pin to ground and measured 0 ohms then measured the resistance of the ignition coil pin at the CDI connector to ground and measured .121 ohms then I did a stator test, I measured the AC ignition power pin resistance in ohms to ground and measured 257 ohms, then I measured the timing trigger pin resistance to ground and measured 96 ohms. Does anyone have any idea why I don't have spark or any other tests I can do? This is driving me crazy!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow. You did a lot of tests. I'm impressed!

...measured the resistance of the ignition coil pin at the CDI connector to ground and measured .121 ohms...
This measurement sticks out. Most meters (without spending big bucks) can't measure resistances to this kind of resolution (down to 0.001 ohm). Therefore I'm flagging this reading as suspect. Please recheck this. You should be seeing a fraction of an ohm (but not zero ohms). I'm wondering if you were measuring 0.121 KiloOhms (or 121 ohms). Or maybe it was just measurement error. It happens.

The AC ignition power and timing trigger voltages are a little low but not necessarally out of the ballpark. Is your starter spinning a little slow? These voltages are proportional to cranking speed.

Take your volt meter and measure the AC and DC voltages on the ignition coil primary pin with the CDI and coil hooked up. Crank the engine for a while (kill switch wire still disabled) and watch the ignition coil primary voltage. Does it ever read anything other than zero? What are some of the random voltages you measure?

Old 04-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

All the test I did where test that I got from reading this forum mainly from you helping others with there troubles. You may be right I will double check the reading I got when I measured the resistance of the ignition coil pin at the cdI connector to ground to make sure my meter was set correct. I will also do the other test you listed in your reply. thank you

Old 04-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kazuma 110 no spark

Here we go again I did all the test over and here's what i got. I disconected the kill switch wire and checked for spark no spark.I disconected the cdi and measured ac voltage at the ignition power pin to ground while cranking and measured 32.2 volts ac. I measured the timing trigger pin the same way and measured 0 volts.I measured resistance of the kill switch wire to ground with everything set to run and ign on and had open ciruit.Stator test i measured the ac ignition power pin in ohms to ground and measured 360 ohms. I measured timing trigger pin resistance to ground and measured 116 ohms. I measured resistance of ground pin to ground and measured 0 ohms. I measured the resistance of the ignition coil pin to ground and measured .3 ohms. I measured the spark plug wire resistance to ground and measured 1174 ohms. I measured the ac and dc voltage on the ignition coil primary pin while cranking for awhile with cdi and coil hooked up and kill switch wire disabled and never read any voltage ac or dc please help.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Wow. You did a lot of tests. I'm impressed!

This measurement sticks out. Most meters (without spending big bucks) can't measure resistances to this kind of resolution (down to 0.001 ohm). Therefore I'm flagging this reading as suspect. Please recheck this. You should be seeing a fraction of an ohm (but not zero ohms). I'm wondering if you were measuring 0.121 KiloOhms (or 121 ohms). Or maybe it was just measurement error. It happens.

The AC ignition power and timing trigger voltages are a little low but not necessarally out of the ballpark. Is your starter spinning a little slow? These voltages are proportional to cranking speed.

Take your volt meter and measure the AC and DC voltages on the ignition coil primary pin with the CDI and coil hooked up. Crank the engine for a while (kill switch wire still disabled) and watch the ignition coil primary voltage. Does it ever read anything other than zero? What are some of the random voltages you measure?
Here we go again I did all the test over and here's what i got. I disconnected the kill switch wire and checked for spark, no spark. I disconnected the cdi and measured ac voltage at the ignition power pin to ground while cranking and measured 32.2 volts ac. I measured the timing trigger pin the same way and measured 0 volts. I measured resistance of the kill switch wire to ground with everything set to run and ign on and had open circuit. Stator test I measured the ac ignition power pin in ohms to ground and measured 360 ohms. I measured timing trigger pin resistance to ground and measured 116 ohms. I measured resistance of ground pin to ground and measured 0 ohms. I measured the resistance of the ignition coil pin to ground and measured .3 ohms. I measured the spark plug wire resistance to ground and measured 1174 ohms. I measured the ac and dc voltage on the ignition coil primary pin while cranking for awhile with cdi and coil hooked up and kill switch wire disabled and never read any voltage ac or dc. please help

Old 04-28-2010, 12:28 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

On the timing trigger voltage you measured 0 volts AC while cranking the engine. It should not be zero volts. It will be a low voltage (like 0.3 volts) but it should not be zero. Make sure you have your meter set down to the lowest scale possible (like 2 volts range would be ideal).

You measured nothing on the ignition coil primary so the CDI is acting like it isn't getting triggered. This matches up with your zero volts trigger voltage, but verify that you have the scale set low enough to measure this. You did measure something on your first go around at the timing trigger pin so it is worth verifying.