1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Tomoto 500cc 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tomoto 500cc 4x4

Just purchased a Tomoto 500cc 4x4 otherwise known as a Yamoto 4x4 500cc extreme. It has not arrived yet. Looking for a good site to purchase parts from as I will need to buy some oil filters for breakin. I was also wondering if anyone has any information about who origionaly buit the 471cc water cooled engine??

Old 05-05-2010, 07:55 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Welcome to the forum Eric Schoembs!

Never heard of that machine..Do you have a link to it? I might have figured out if there were places to buy parts for it before buying it? Would suck to have a new machine you cant get parts for.. Who did you buy it from and why? good rep? liked the look of the quad? heard good things about it?

Old 05-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Tomoto 500cc ATV

I did not blindly purchase the ATV I bought it from Extreme Motor Sports out of Florida. The reviews that I read on the ATV were quite good. I also got an excellent deal on the ATV with shipping included it cost me $2,800. The ATV is a sold as a Yamoto Hisun Extreme 500. The engine is used in several chinese UTV's and has a good reputation as well. It is a 5 valve liquid cooled 471 cc engine. I was simply wondering if anyone knew what the origional clone engine was. My hunch is that it is a clone of the Yamaha Rhino 421cc engine and simply has a larger stroke legnth which gives it the extra displacement. I have found oil filters for it but they cost about $18 when shipped to the house. When I purchase oil filters for my car (which are larger) they cost about $10 for high quality oil filters. I was also wondering if anyone knew of a reputable parts supplier.

Eric

Old 06-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Transmission Issues

The Tomoto HiSun 500 is having a problem with the CVT transmission. Under hard braking it pops out of gear in 2wd. Does anyone know the fix to this. I assume that there is some type of adjustment??? Could this be a differential issue or perhaps some type of electrical issue as the machine does have push button 4wd (but i would assume that the machine would stay in 2wd drive and that the 4wd only engages the front wheels). Problem is strange because the machine will accelerate hard with no problems until the brakes are applies. I have even tried feathering the throttle(to keep the clutch engaged) during heavy braking and that does not seem to help. The dealer haqs not been very helpful at all and I dont' know where to begin with this problem.

Eric

Old 06-07-2010, 07:20 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If its a clone,of the Yamaha 421 then most likely you can use there oil filter, If the ATV uses a automotive type spin on oil filter then there will be many filter for it at any parts store. Thats what I do, I brough my old filter in with me,if the rubber ring seal and center thread dia is the same then the filter has to work.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Tomoto HiSun 500cc 4x4 ATV

Thanks for the advice on the oil filter. I changed the oil in hopes of solving the popping out of gear issue and even ran 10w 40 to see if a heavier oil would solve the problem. I did not find anything unusual in the oil. I finally decided that the dealer that I purchased the ATV from was not very helpful and contacted Tomoto myself and started to get some answers. They told me to take a look at the adapter which connects to the drive shaft (rear end) and see if it is broken. the problem only occurs in the rear end of the ATV. When I am in 4wd the problem occurs under hard braking however the front wheel remain under power so the machine keeps moving. I am in the process of getting dome diagrams before attempting to remove the drive shaft. Any tips before I begin? The second possible problem is with a one way bearing on one of the wet clutches (this is a little more complicated so I figured I would start with the drive shaft). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Eric