1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

chinese quad, no spark

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 03:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 306 Likes on 300 Posts

I guess it is possible a voltage surge from the coil may have blown the CDI. You could do the checks in the help diagnose stator sticky to rule out stator or wiring faults to the CDI, or just buy a new CDI and hope it was the cause of the problem. Be very sure the CDI earths are earthed, as a bad earth on a CDI will blow it.

Old 12-23-2022, 05:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 90cc BAJA

I recently picked up a 90cc ATV that I thought would be an easy fixer upper. I got a complete otohans wiring kit off Amazon and a new battery. Everything works on the harness as it should (cranks good and accessories work), but I have no spark.

Using the procedure listed earlier in this forum I have the following data. Disconnecting the black/white did not help and all kill switches ohm correctly.
​​​​​​
1.) 448 ohm
2.) 139 ohm
3.) 67 V
4.) .017 V

A.) .7 ohm
B.) .04 V steady (basically what my meter reads at rest)

Old 12-24-2022, 03:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider

It would have been helpful to have listed exactly where you got the tests from, or what you have tested, as numbers 1 to 4 and AB mean nothing without context. However I would guess the trigger (pulse) coil is either 0.017v or 0.04v, either of which is too low. Put your original stator back and see what you get.

Old 12-24-2022, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
It would have been helpful to have listed exactly where you got the tests from, or what you have tested, as numbers 1 to 4 and AB mean nothing without context. However I would guess the trigger (pulse) coil is either 0.017v or 0.04v, either of which is too low. Put your original stator back and see what you get.
Method 1) Unplug the CDI and remove the kill switch pin in the CDI connector on the wiring harness. The pin is held in with a spring tab on the pin itself. You'll have to probe into the connector and push this tab in order to extract the pin. Plug the CDI back in (kill switch wire dangling) and see if you have spark.

Method 2) Unplug the CDI. Turn on the ignition switch and set all kill switches to the run position. Use a meter to measure resistance in of the kill switch pin in the wiring harness connector to engine/frame ground. If the reistance is infinite on the 100K ohm scale then your kill switches/kill switch wiring are OK. If you measure zero ohms then you have a kill switch/wiring issue.

The other inputs your CDI needs to make spark are AC Ignition Power, and the Trigger signal. Do the following:

1) Unplug the CDI. In the wiring connector measure the resistance of the AC Ignition Power pin to the Ground pin. You should see 400 ohms or so. What do you measure?

2) Measure the resistance of the Timing/trigger pin to the ground pin. You should measure 150 ohms or so. What do you measure?

3) Leave the CDI unplugged. Set your meter to measure AC volts on the 100 volt scale. Measure the voltage on the AC Ignition Power pin to the ground pin while cranking the engine. You should see 40 to 80 volts AC while the engine is cranking. What do you measure?

4) Set your meter to measure AC volts on the lowest scale you have. Ideally this would be 2 volts but many meters don't go down this low. In that case use the lowest scale you have. Measure the voltage on the Timing Trigger pin to the Ground pin while cranking the engine. You should 0.2 t0 0.4 volts AC. What do you measure?

Now for measuring the output side of the CDI:

A) Leave the CDI unplugged. In the CDI wiring connector measure the resistance of the Ignition Coil pin to the ground pin. You should measure less than 1 ohm (but not zero ohms). What do you measure?

B) Plug the CDI back in. Set your meter to measure AC volts on the 20 volt scale. Set all kill switches to the run position. Crank the engine while measuring the voltage on the Igntition Coil pin to ground. Poke through the insulation of the wire if you can't probe the connector.

Caution: There should be moderately high voltage spikes on this wire. Make sure your fingers are not part of the circuitry. Don't touch the probe lead tips while doing this test.

What you should see is a lot of random numbers with lots of zero values as well. This is because the meter may catch all or part of the spark event voltage, with a lot of nothing in between. Describe what you see.

Note: Using a meter to measure this point produces highly variable results depending on the meter. What you really need is an oscilloscope, but most always a meter is all that is available. We have to do the best we can with what's available. Describe the meter results as accurately as you can - there is information there to chew on....

That's what I did to get those numbers. I don't have the original stator. There was an after market in it when I got it.

Old 12-25-2022, 03:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Right, as I thought your pulse coil voltage is way too low, though it is difficult to be certain with a pulse that is so short. I'm a little puzzled with whoever wrote those tests advising using 2v and 20v scales for those tests, as many of the bikes I test have quite high pulse voltages 4v is common, and I have known 100v on the lead from CDI tp coil. There was another recently revived post which indicated the pulse coil could be too far from the flywheel pip, they are usually not adjustable but, check it has been fitted properly and no bent mounting. The stators are so cheap that a new one is probably the easiest way to go, With expensive stators, you can often just buy a new pulse coil and solder it on.

Old 12-26-2022, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Joe05'90ccBaja
Method 1) Unplug the CDI and remove the kill switch pin in the CDI connector on the wiring harness. The pin is held in with a spring tab on the pin itself. You'll have to probe into the connector and push this tab in order to extract the pin. Plug the CDI back in (kill switch wire dangling) and see if you have spark.

Method 2) Unplug the CDI. Turn on the ignition switch and set all kill switches to the run position. Use a meter to measure resistance in of the kill switch pin in the wiring harness connector to engine/frame ground. If the reistance is infinite on the 100K ohm scale then your kill switches/kill switch wiring are OK. If you measure zero ohms then you have a kill switch/wiring issue.

The other inputs your CDI needs to make spark are AC Ignition Power, and the Trigger signal. Do the following:

1) Unplug the CDI. In the wiring connector measure the resistance of the AC Ignition Power pin to the Ground pin. You should see 400 ohms or so. What do you measure?

2) Measure the resistance of the Timing/trigger pin to the ground pin. You should measure 150 ohms or so. What do you measure?

3) Leave the CDI unplugged. Set your meter to measure AC volts on the 100 volt scale. Measure the voltage on the AC Ignition Power pin to the ground pin while cranking the engine. You should see 40 to 80 volts AC while the engine is cranking. What do you measure?

4) Set your meter to measure AC volts on the lowest scale you have. Ideally this would be 2 volts but many meters don't go down this low. In that case use the lowest scale you have. Measure the voltage on the Timing Trigger pin to the Ground pin while cranking the engine. You should 0.2 t0 0.4 volts AC. What do you measure?

Now for measuring the output side of the CDI:

A) Leave the CDI unplugged. In the CDI wiring connector measure the resistance of the Ignition Coil pin to the ground pin. You should measure less than 1 ohm (but not zero ohms). What do you measure?

B) Plug the CDI back in. Set your meter to measure AC volts on the 20 volt scale. Set all kill switches to the run position. Crank the engine while measuring the voltage on the Igntition Coil pin to ground. Poke through the insulation of the wire if you can't probe the connector.

Caution: There should be moderately high voltage spikes on this wire. Make sure your fingers are not part of the circuitry. Don't touch the probe lead tips while doing this test.

What you should see is a lot of random numbers with lots of zero values as well. This is because the meter may catch all or part of the spark event voltage, with a lot of nothing in between. Describe what you see.

Note: Using a meter to measure this point produces highly variable results depending on the meter. What you really need is an oscilloscope, but most always a meter is all that is available. We have to do the best we can with what's available. Describe the meter results as accurately as you can - there is information there to chew on....

That's what I did to get those numbers. I don't have the original stator. There was an after market in it when I got it.
The magnet pickup was in the side cover backwards. Turned it around and got spark.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking for some help with a panther 110 chinese quad has no spark. I ordered and installed a wiring harness that comes with all new componets. Still no spark i have the 5 pin cdi setup. Any help would be great as im about to pull my hair out.

Old 04-15-2024, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Could be kill switch problem. Try disconnecting the b/w kill wire from cdi . Then plug cdi back in without the kill wire. If it fires up then fault is in kill switch. If this doesn't work then move to testing cdi inputs and outputs. Good luck

Old 04-16-2024, 02:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Note my post above, OP had bought a complete system and found:-
"The pulse coil could be too far from the flywheel pip, they are usually not adjustable but, check it has been fitted properly"

Old 04-16-2024, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have removed the kill wire frim cdi plugin and no spark i will do the other tests tonight.

Quick Reply: chinese quad, no spark