1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

ATV dies when warm

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV dies when warm

Just recently got my quad back together, after a few trial and error fixes I got it running.

It takes the choke about 1/2 to 3/4 closed to get it to start and it will run fine for a few. The minute it warms up and I either gun it or even let it idle it dies. I can get it to run for about another minute if I keep the choke completely closed then it just dies all together and I have to let it sit for a few minutes before it will fire back up.

It seems to idle just fine, it's the moment I actually start riding it that this starts happening. Any ideas on what I might have done wrong during the rebuild?

(side note, I never actually took the carb apart, just took it off and unhooked everything)

Including a shot of the carb

Name:  100_0703.jpg
Views: 11949
Size:  127.5 KB

Old 05-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay so I took the carb apart cleaned all the jets and needles, made sure the holes were open, cleared out the gas put in new gas with some sea foam to help break down anything that might be lingering.

Made sure the bowl stays full of gas, everything is connected. Still same problem, once it warms up it will stall out and sometimes if you close the choke you can get it to run a little longer then it dies and won't start back up for a few minutes.

Any ideas?

P.S I can start the thing with no choke at all, but it's not really cold here, lowers 70's. Don't know if that would matter or not

Old 05-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer

My kids jet 150 did this exact same. bunch of crap in the carb. I cleaned it 3 times before I got smart and used my air comp. to blow out all the jets. runs great now. trial and error is the way I fix things but sometimes it works the best. Seth 03

Old 05-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I cleaned the thing pretty well, at least I thought. I will clean it again tomorrow, and blow out the jets with air as you suggested. 1st time around I used some gunk carb cleaner and a brush. I didn't see any crap in the carb though, looked pretty clean to begin with.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

Really scrub and blow out that sucker. make sure you pull all the jets out to clean it. after you get it backtogether run the main air/fuel screw in all the way then back it out 2 turns adjust the idle from there. its a good starting place and then you can just tweek from there. I have had my jet 150 for about a year and it has had constant carb issues. I have had the carb apart about 25 times. I just got it cleaned and dialed in about a month ago. runs great now and my daughters having a blast. don't give up . just keep at it . these chinise quads take alot of tinkering to make them good .Seth 03

Old 05-26-2010, 01:59 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with Seth 03, but I was thinking of one more thing to try:

You said it dies, then starts up again when it has sat for a minute. It sounds like it is running out of fuel. If you disconnect the fuel inlet hose to the carburetor and let it flow into a bucket does it flow freely, or just dribble out. I've seen two quads now where the fuel petcock was defective. The fuel dribbles slowly into the carburetor float bowl and fills it up. You start the quad and it runs for a while, falters as it runs out of gas, then stalls. Wait for a while and the float bowl slowly fills back up again. The cycle repeats...