1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Totally new to the group and ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Totally new to the group and ATV's

Hi,

I recently purchased a used Kazuma. I beleive the model is a Panda 110-4SAR, however, when I contacted the Kazuma company, they told me that my VIN# LWOXCGLP340010730 matched that of a Lacoste 110 model. From the bits and peices of owner's manuals I found on line, the picture of the Panda looks like the model that I have.

First question: Can anyone verify for me for sure what model I have? I can go take a picture and post it if that helps.

When I bought it a couple of months back, my daughters boyfriend and I, who owns and works on ATV's and dirt bikes, spent the entire day trying to get this used Kazuma running. Below is a list of things we tried to do today to try and get this ATV started:

- Cleaned the carburetor bowl, float, float needle, took out all the jets, took compressed air and sprayed all the crevices out to make sure the passageways were clear.
- Took the spark plug out and cleaned the head measured the gap and it is still within spec.
- Replaced the battery
- Replaced fuel in gas tank with fresh fuel.
- Hooked up a piece of rubber hose from the airbox to the carburetor and secured both sides with clamps
- Tried to bump start it in 2nd gear. There was minimal compression
- Oil level was low in the sight glass. There are two notches - High and - Low. Oil was below the 'Low' notch.
- Replaced the original air filter which was extremely brittle and falling apart. Airbox was very muddy as well.
- The screw cap for the slide on the carburetor is stripped from someone trying to use the incorrect tool and over tighten it.

Needless to say, that after all that effort, we couldn't get it started...

Since then, I went ahead and changed the oil and spark plug with a new one. Now it will start and idle. However, as soon as you apply the throttle the engine wants to bog down and will cut off if you hold it open. I've been given a lot of advice from others on what to do next, however, I'm not sure who to trust, because it sounds like they are guessing because they really have no idea as to what to do.

I'm starting to wonder if it is starving for air, because when I got it, there was not connection tube between the carb and the airbox and the filter was very brittle inside the airbox, which was very dirty. As I mentioned above, we did clean it and cut out a new filter from a piece of filter made for a lawnmower filter that we bought from Lowes. The tube we ended up using to connect the carb and airbox together was made from some tubing we bought at a pool supply store.

Again, I'm totally new to ATV's and would appreciate any help I can get with this.

Regards,

Steve

Old 07-05-2010, 09:57 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum sspatriot!

If you use some choke will it run better? If so youve either still got something blocked in the carb or you need larger jets....

Old 07-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Totally new to the group and ATV's

I tried it with the choke all the way open and also with it partially opened. With choke, all it wanted to do was cut out.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 07-05-2010, 10:11 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

When you cleaned the carb....Could you see light thru both jets and thru the holes in the side if the main jet holder?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Question Totally new to the group and ATV's

That's the part that my daughter's boyfreind did, so I wouldn't know. Should I pull the carb off and clean it myself? If so, is there a particular cleaner that is better than others. I went out and bought a cleaner that day, but off hand I can't remember what brand it was.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 07-05-2010, 10:44 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by sspatriot
That's the part that my daughter's boyfreind did, so I wouldn't know. Should I pull the carb off and clean it myself? If so, is there a particular cleaner that is better than others. I went out and bought a cleaner that day, but off hand I can't remember what brand it was.

Thanks,

Steve
Thats where I would start just to make sure its clean...(your symptoms point to a dirty pilot jet/circuit) I use Walmart's Super Tech brand....and compressed air.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I'll give it a try and keep you posted. Sorry about posting twice. After I posted here I noticed another sub-forum under this one and wasn't clear on which one I should have posted to, so I put it under both. Looks like the moderator has deleted the second post already. Just curious, what is the difference between the two forums?

Regards,

Steve

Old 07-05-2010, 11:00 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by sspatriot
Thanks, I'll give it a try and keep you posted.

Sorry about posting twice. After I posted here I noticed another sub-forum under this one and wasn't clear on which one I should have posted to, so I put it under both. Looks like the moderator has deleted the second post already. Just curious, what is the difference between the two forums?

Regards,

Steve
No problem with the posting twice...I moved the other thread..

Sort of a section for out of the ordinary questions... and it also generates more threads, posts and info..

Old 07-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I've pulled the carb off again and started to clean it. I can't see through the length of what I beleive is the pilot jet (the smaller one). I tried putting the carb cleaner to it and tried blowing compressed air through it and still can't see all the way through it. Should I just soak this overnight in some carb cleaner or is there another trick to getting it cleaned out. Also, could this be the culprit that is bogging the engine when I hit the throttle?

Please advise,

Steve

Old 07-05-2010, 05:34 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

I have used a needle or small drill bit..(usually a #70 to #80 drill bit) to push out the dirt/gunk.

Yes the plugged pilot jet is your problem... no fuel delivery at idle to 1/4 throttle..

Quick Reply: Totally new to the group and ATV's